Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2005, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

need to vent

I hope this is the proper forum for this. I need to air some thoughts or Im going to explode. Wednesday nite some individual decided to clean out my trailer for me. Im going to try to be polite and not use name calling. Im sure that he is not going to use my tools to do any real honest work. I put a new lock on my trailer while I was rounding up materials to modify the side door. Friday nite they came back, cut the new lock and got the stuff they missed the fist time. I have a really hard time dealing with stealing. I know people work hard to pay for the equipment they use and then somebody has to come along and just take it. Twice! So now I have to pay my deductible twice, Im spending money to reinforce my trailer doors and boy those alarm systems aint cheap either. It Will be a big surprise if they come back.I' ll be doing a lot of lawn work just to recoup all the costs. Why do honest working people have to go to such major extremes to protect their stuff. I worked really hard over the years to up grade to very nice equiptment, Now some loser is selling it for little or nothing to buy meth. Im glad I left the new replacements in the garage. Anyway if any of you guys in eastern/central Iowa happen to see some nice stihl stuff selling cheap, it could be mine. Im checking all the pawn shops in town, but I doubt Ill come up with anything.

Thanks for listening

Rick
Old 08-14-2005, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

doesn' t that suck ......... lost a truck last year, and hand tools, gas, all one by one. this spring they got my, my 4-wheeler . what can you do, spend more $$$ for new (or used) stuff so they can take it .
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My sympathy, man. I keep my stuff in a somewhat rural area. A couple of cargo containers and some open structures is what I have. Only padlocked, but I live on the same property. One thing I did was to install motion sensor flood lights. It's cheap and effective. Any cop will tell you that lighting is the best thing you can do for theft prevention. Also do what the truckers do, try to park your stuff in a way that blocks all the doors not facing open and visible areas.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I feel your pain Rick. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm with you when it comes to theives. I hate lying and I hate stealing. And the balls to come back a second time!

It reminds me of a time when I was mowing a large-ish commercial account. I was on a WB, about 75 yards from my ramp truck that had a cage attached where I kept weedeaters, blowers, stick edgers etc. I'd gotten lazy about keeping it locked when I was on a property in sight of the truck because it was such a pain to unlock it every time I needed a piece of equipment.

A pickup pulled into the lot and stopped next to my truck and my radar immediately went up. I stopped mowing and headed toward my truck as I watched two hispanic guys get out, climb onto my truck, and start dragging MY gear out! I started running and shouting but they just went about the business of ripping me off, very casual like. As I got closer they threw my stuff in their truck, took the time to flip me off and wave, then left, with no tag on their truck for me to copy.

Rage, helpless frustration, wanting to stop every LCO I saw. In the end I had to buy new equipment and move on.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Boy now that sucks !!!

I'm in North Eastern Nebraska & South Eastern South Dakota...

If I hear of someone selling tools I'll check it out...

Are your tools marked w/any names, #'s, etc

Good luck

Experience and Treachery will always beat Youth and Enthusiasm.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn277
I hope this is the proper forum for this. I need to air some thoughts or Im going to explode. Wednesday nite some individual decided to clean out my trailer for me. Im going to try to be polite and not use name calling. Im sure that he is not going to use my tools to do any real honest work. I put a new lock on my trailer while I was rounding up materials to modify the side door. Friday nite they came back, cut the new lock and got the stuff they missed the fist time. I have a really hard time dealing with stealing. I know people work hard to pay for the equipment they use and then somebody has to come along and just take it. Twice! So now I have to pay my deductible twice, Im spending money to reinforce my trailer doors and boy those alarm systems aint cheap either. It Will be a big surprise if they come back.I' ll be doing a lot of lawn work just to recoup all the costs. Why do honest working people have to go to such major extremes to protect their stuff. I worked really hard over the years to up grade to very nice equiptment, Now some loser is selling it for little or nothing to buy meth. Im glad I left the new replacements in the garage. Anyway if any of you guys in eastern/central Iowa happen to see some nice stihl stuff selling cheap, it could be mine. Im checking all the pawn shops in town, but I doubt Ill come up with anything.

Thanks for listening

Rick
I am curious: Did you have covered-shackle locks?

Also, that access door gets a lot of people in trouble with the crackheads and transients.

Those are two of the top 10 or so causes of theft from my point of view.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear of this. I had some hunting equipment stolen from my vehicle which was parked at work a couple of years ago. Not all that much monetary wise (luckily, I had remembered to get my rifle out), but a pain to replace things. One of the local LCO's had his Grasshopper stolen a couple of months ago. Not sure of the circumstances, as I got the information secondhand. Used to be this was stuff that only happened in the urban areas, but not anymore. Heck, when I was a kid, we didn't even have locks that worked on our doors. Almost no one ever locked their house, or took the keys out of their vehicles. Neill
Old 08-14-2005, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Knock on wood , we have never had this kind of stuff happen around here.............meaning large theft like yous are talking about. My question is does your ins. cover these things outside of the deductable?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had my nice spreader (nothing compared to what you guys have lost) stolen a few weeks ago, i just hope they don't come back for anything else i have.

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

why don't you turn it into your insurance company?