Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-27-2000, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I have started doing a little free mowing(probably because I don't have enough clients still digging for customers. It is my first cutting season and I was injured when I needed to be putting out flyers.) Since I had my equipment sitting in the storage unit too often, I decided to make use of my gear for people that can't cut their own lawns or afford to. Young guys that had bypass surgery and their families are worried about losing a father and the bills are piling up. Older folks that can't afford to have their lawns cut, and are 90 years old, shouldn't be pushing a mower, etc. It's something that I would like to keep a few of in my schedule. I feel pretty lucky that I could save the money to get a chance at this business, and it feels pretty good to give something back. It's not the reason I do it, but I have gotten referrals from the free jobs. Does anybody else do these or have an interest in starting? It could be a tax write off. If the amount of cutters that use this board would do (just one or two yards each), we could make a large difference.<br>thanks,<br>Steve
Old 04-27-2000, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am already doing 2 free cuts and a couple of reduced price cuts. One free cut is for a elderly couple (80+) that have a 1/2 acre lot and they will cut it themselves with a 21&quot; push mower if I don't watch them carefully. The other freebie is for the local wide-area community assoc. (an assoc. of associations) and I get credit and phone number in the newsletter. I do these and the reduced price cuts because I like to give back to the community from which I take so much.
Old 04-27-2000, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have been cutting a family's grass for free. everytime I go there I am reminded how lucky I am &quot;to be able to cut grass&quot;! this will be the fourth year.<p>just like sdgoes, when I started I had some free time and got hooked up with a church group and the local &quot;community&quot; paper doing occasional mowing for the elderly and handicapped.<p>to make the long story short, with all things considered, my time and investment has been returned to me probably 100 fold.<p>giving just a little adds up to whole lot if every one does it.<p>GEO
Old 04-27-2000, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I mow a few places for free that I think &quot;stand&quot; for something positive in the community.
Old 04-27-2000, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, Very cool stuff. Two things come to mind.<br>Verily I say on to you, Inasmuch as ye have done unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40 <p>and<p>Give and it shall be given to you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over shell men give into your bosom. Luke 6;38<p>You might want to be thinking about how you will handle all the new business.
Old 04-27-2000, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can NEVER go wrong helping those less fortunate i do my next door neibor ladys real cheap i offered to do it free but she said no way, she is older and in and out of the hospital, she gets all the left overs too(mulch, fert,anuals....)<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-27-2000, 08:18 PM

I think I do some free mowing every day with the way the prices are
Old 04-27-2000, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

.......speaking of bartering, does anyone know of any refineries that need to be mowed<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-27-2000, 08:48 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I've done the elderly peoples lawns for several years, from free to very cheap. The sad thing is when they pass away after you have become friends with them. One of the ladies told me she needed to get her 2 year old Van into the car wash, but had a hard time doing that. I volunteered to take it down, get this 2 years old and it has 819 miles on it. Anyway, I have always tried to help the elderly and less fortunate.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-27-2000, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know if this really counts but two Friday's ago I was coming out of the local Best Buy when I saw a guy mowing a dentist office (who happens to also be my dentist) and he was in over his head and it was about ten minutes from total dark. I stopped in and asked him if he needed any help trimming. He was shocked since I was still pulling all my gear, but he said &quot;No, I think I've got it.&quot; I think he thought I was tryin to horn in on his account. Went by an hour later and he was almost finished. Had his truck pulled up with the headlights on!