Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2005, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

curious

Just wondering, how many guys use liquid fertilizer over granular? And why? I have success with both, 90% of the time I am dealing with ryegrass. Any comments or advise?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I try to stick with liquid in the fall and early spring, and I use granular in the summer. If it gets really hot and dry, I'll use sulfur coated granular for the time-release effect. Most people water only in the Spring/Summer. That's why I do it this way. Normally I use a pre-emergent liquid with those liquid fert apps when needed
Old 08-16-2005, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

curious

Thanks for the info but I wonder if in Northern Minnesota it might be different? We only have about 3 months of summer!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Honestly, your region is probably different. As far as local cultural practices are concerned, I would utilize liquids whenever watering or regular rainfall is unlikely, otherwise, stick with granular. Granular tends to provide more dramatic results if ample water is available.
-Just my 2 cents, someone from your area may disagree, that is just what I would think
Old 08-16-2005, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i like dry because it's easy in/out on to the next. but when you have to double pass (go over and spray weed control after your dry app) it's a toss up.. might as well spray the thing with fert/iron/weed all in 1. the problem with liquid is the price of product. if you want 44-0-0 soluable no big deal, but if you want a slow release liquid N, then your cost goes through the roof! i use liquid in the spring i mix 44-0-0, NBN (slow release N), 0-0-64, iron, pendulum 3.3EC, Mec-d (weed control) works great, just cost alot. the benifit is you can customize your application any way you want, not the way lesco, anderson, shaws, etc. want you to. if you do 5-6 app's you could poss. skip the NBN and save money that way. how large of a tank do you have to spray out of? i use a 600gal and apply @1.5gal per 1K
Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info. Alot of my accounts are small, so I will also water for them if nature requires it. I think alot of what I do will be based on the size of the job. Thanks alot.