Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-19-2005, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

fire the worst guy .........then simply have a meeting and ask who would like to be next
Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

300-400 each week???......train him or fire him........... a week ago.....

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 08-20-2005, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Well.................the irrigation destroyer got a "final" warning. I informed him that he's on probation, and if he's careless one more time during this.......he's fired.

Dennis
Old 08-20-2005, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Well this morning, he was moving a garbage can, didn't put the stick edger down, and whap-whap-whap....the edger blade strikes the customers garage door. ................I just looked at him and shook my head.

Dennis
Old 08-20-2005, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

This guy is a moron, really. Give him the boot.

He's almost so stupid, you have to laugh.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I think that it is time for that too. He's a 20 year old, and I've been writing it off as.......he's young, and learning. Not anymore. :blob3:

Dennis
Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question.....

do you guys encourage safety and care or ultimate speed? When I drove heavy farm trucks the unloader was always screaming to hurry backing the trucks up to the binner. I told him we hadn't killed or maimed anyone yet; did he want to be the first? We moved at best safe speed from that point on.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitland Man
Yea I think that it is time for that too. He's a 20 year old, and I've been writing it off as.......he's young, and learning. Not anymore. :blob3:

Dennis
if they dont learn after 1st day on the job they will never learn. trimming, edging and mower operation is something you can either do or cant do. if they cant do it right the end of first day... they still wont be able to do it right 3 weeks later. thats my experience.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag:
Old 08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
yup, and remember the 9 out of 10 = NO rule, meaning you need to set up 10 prospective employee interviews and tell ALL the ones that actually show up for the interview to be there monday morning, and by end of monday you will have your one employee.

I've read you post this a few times and I am curious about how that really works...

So do you really schedule 10 new poeple to be there on a given Monday???

Do you tell them their comming in for an interview or to start or???

If so, do you work them all??? If so do you pay them or tell'em its a trial???

It just seems like you could wind up with a buncha people standing around watching 2-3 guys work...

From everything I have seen in real life and read on here, employees are by far the biggest headache....

I just can't fathom how hard it is to get good workers...

Its no wonder some o the forigen countries are taking all of our jobs... Most americans want to show up and get paid for nothing...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well,I'm with the rest of the guy's on most of these things
BUT..I would like to say a few things too.#1-Most LCO's have it in their contract that they are NOT responsible for sprinkler repair because if a sprinkler system is properly installed and the head height is done right the sprinklers wont get broken.This sprinkler breaking is common and to be expected when mowing and your guys should have repair parts with them and be able to fix if they break them.
On the valves and backflow preventor.Those should have been enclosed in a box and protected from damage.That is the homeowners responsibility or his irrigation installers problem.You can't expect your guys to have to watch out for stupid stuff like that.Those should have been protected.

As far as moving a trash can?He shoulden't have to move a trash can at all.He shouldent have to move anything out of his way.That also should be on the homeowner.
I agree with the house and garage and fence damages should be punished.I agree he should pay better attention,
but the thing about if you cant get it the 1st day you will never get I do not agree with.