Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-20-2005, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower For Less
Not to boost your ego, but I find I close almost 100% of flyer call backs, as opposed to newspaper ads, yellow pages, etc.. where you are side by side with the competition. With the flyer, it's just you, and they already called you, so as long as you dont blow it in person, it's usually yours.

Kevin
If you are closing 100% then you are MOWER FOR LESS, you need to raise your rates. 50% would be doing good
Old 08-20-2005, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No, dont get me wrong, I said only Flyer leads. I find that I close nearly 100% of them I think due to lack of competition, or there not shopping around. As far as leads I get from my other advertising I am closer to 40-50%. I dont know why, but I seem to get more honestly interested leads from flyers. However, I have only handed out maybe 5000 flyers in 3 years, so its not a HUGE pool that I base that on.

Kevin
Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

bad day yesterday, only $650 flyers were distributed, in 5 hrs x 2 men = 10 man hrs. i did, however, recieve 3 phone calls yesterday afternoon. but, man it cost alot to get these flyers out. around $1,000 when all is said and done
Old 08-21-2005, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Back when we put flyers out, we consistently got about a 1 to 1 and 1/2-call rate. And usually closed in 30 to 40 % range.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFLORD
The last time I did fliers, I handed out about 1000. The only call I got was from a retired postal worker who told me how illegal is was to put stuff in USPS mailboxes. He forgot about caller ID, so I called him back and made some suggestions on how he should spend his time. I don't do fliers anymore.
There are three reasons I don't do flyers:
1) What you just said - Expect a percent of responses to this effect.
2) I never could get enough money for the work mainly because I never could get high enough demand meaning I always felt at least somewhat desperate for work (read the next reason).
3) I can not match the sheer numbers - I used to get 3-4 calls per thousand flyers and it takes 6 HOURS to put them out (measure yourself and I fairly guarantee you can't put out no thousand in no 6 but maybe if you do it as long as I did then you can) - Now I gotta spend what, 60 HOURS to put out 10 thousand when my time is NOT free and here for 90 dollars / week I can advertise in a newspaper gets sent to 250 THOUSAND households (granted not all of them have lawns but whatever) and I get anywhere from 3-4 calls/day to 3-4 calls/week from that.

f*k flyers lol
Old 08-21-2005, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
no wait, i was thinking of the 3,000 that will go out between today, and tommorow. there will be 5,000 total, so, i can expect roughly 20-50 calls. that will land me around 13- 35 clients, then of course, any of thier neighbors that see me and come over. that aint so bad, is it?
I'd say its worth your time. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It will all depend on your market and the looks of your flyer. My flyers in the spring were very professional looking. I also offered "3 Free Mowings". I had close to 30,000 flyers delivered via neighborhood newsletters (the cost for delivery was around .03 cents each) and had a terrible return. For mowing, gave about 8 estimates. I picked up 4 accounts....2 cancelled and still mowing the other 2. My campaign next spring will target more of the chem app side of the business (higher profit margin and less competitive).

Show us your flyer!!!

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 08-26-2005, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
man it cost alot to get these flyers out. around $1,000 when all is said and done
Bobby,
Your forgetting your own advice...
In order to keep your costs down you need to be charging these newly acquired clients some fees.... perhaps a flier distribution fee, a printing fee, a new account setup fee and the estimate preparation fee.

And by the way, Lets see the flier......
Old 08-26-2005, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells
Bobby,
Your forgetting your own advice...
In order to keep your costs down you need to be charging these newly acquired clients some fees.... perhaps a flier distribution fee, a printing fee, a new account setup fee and the estimate preparation fee.

And by the way, Lets see the flier......

You are absolutely right Wells… BG show us the flyer maybe we can help with some other suggestions on the design, wording, or just the layout. You came to us,we are here to help.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

YOU???? help ME????? i can't post the flyer , for one very good reason- I DON'T KNOW HOW!! but, i can describe it to you. it's black ink on matt lime green paper. it says- XYZ lawn and landscape celebrating our 10th year in business and currently accepting new clients. we are a full service property maint company. lawn mowing- fert programs-lawn renovations/seeding/thatching/aeration/sod. trimming/pruning/instalation of trees + shrubs. topsoil/mulch/stone. fall leaf cleanup. we are fully insured. we are state trained and licensed by the dept of environmental protection. new customers recieve SPECIAL DISCOUNT. call now for your FREE quote. here's the update on the flyers- we got 650 out last saturday. we got 125 out monday. this totals 775 flyers. we recieved 13 calls . we signed 4 new lawn mowing customers, we signed 4 lawn renovations, one of which i ended up dumping. i'm pleased to this point. we should get out about 1,000 more this weekend. the kids i had putting them out averaged only 35 each per hr. my man chico put out 125 in 2 hrs. guess who's working sunday......