Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2005, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalltimer1
The JD 790 is a 27hp model, just right for what you're looking for. The 4x4 model starts at $12,300 (but yes there is a 4x2 790), but when compared to a similar sized 4000 series tractor with similar horsepower as well as a Kubota L-series, the 790 is a much better value being right at $2,000 less than a 4200/4300 tractor and about the same difference less than a Kubota of the same size.

I've had reasonable experience on the 790 and 4300 but I can't really tell you much about the Kubota as far as performance/durability. Personally if I was in your position, the 790 would be the most economical and cost effective machine in the running. You get a few more creature comforts with the 42/4300's and the Kubotas, but you don't need but so much useless crap on a loader tractor, the extra stuff just gets in the way. The 790 is a basic, no frills, utility tractor. It is basically the same machine as the old 655/755/855/955 machines built from 1979-1993.

JD parts will definitely be cheaper than Kubota, just because JD has a lot of parts warehouses around the country and getting a part in won't be too much trouble with JD and they can get it in the next day if you order before 2:30 in the afternoon I believe. Kubota doesn't have as many parts warehouses, so you will have more down time if you have a mechanical problem due to waiting for parts.
Are the 790s hydros or gears becouse i would be using them in smaller areas like back yards etc. and also how much Hp is robbed by the hydro becouse i am thinking a hydro would be better idk what do you think
Old 08-27-2005, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroLandscaper
Are the 790s hydros or gears becouse i would be using them in smaller areas like back yards etc. and also how much Hp is robbed by the hydro becouse i am thinking a hydro would be better idk what do you think
Been there and done that with gear drive tractors and loaders. JD 5210 and JD 1070 at the golf course I worked at. Spend the extra and get a hydro. The hp lost is only 2 to 3hp with a hydro over a gear.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 08-27-2005, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroLandscaper

Also they are diesel right?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

all real compact tractors are diesel.

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Old 08-27-2005, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the 790 JD is still made by yanmar. BTW they made all of JD's compacts up until the 4600 series. I don't believe it is available in hydro. Not even shuttle. The only ones I have seen have the shifter between your legs on the floorboard. I am a fan of an open floorboard. Years or experience tell me it is greatly more comfortable and operator friendly (one in the same) If you are in tight spaces then defenately consider a "glide shift(kubota)" or power reverser "twenty series" JD there are other tractors out there but we own one of each I mentioned and love them. HYdros are also availble on Grand L Kubota and on twenty series JD
Old 08-27-2005, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tractor @#$#@^@#$^)*

the 790 JD is still made by yanmar. BTW they made all of JD's compacts up until the 4600 series. I don't believe it is available in hydro. Not even shuttle. The only ones I have seen have the shifter between your legs on the floorboard. I am a fan of an open floorboard. Years or experience tell me it is greatly more comfortable and operator friendly (one in the same) If you are in tight spaces then defenately consider a "glide shift(kubota)" or power reverser "twenty series" JD there are other tractors out there but we own one of each I mentioned and love them. HYdros are also availble on Grand L Kubota and on twenty series JD
Old 08-28-2005, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the gear drives for their simplicity of maintenance and durability. Hydros are nice for convienience and for constant direction changes. I just don't like the idea that I could lose a hydro pump if I am pushing dirt with a front end loader for extended periods of time, now I know that the pumps are much more durable than that, but I'm just saying that sometimes if you happen to have an amateur operator or a careless employee that stuff can happen, as we all know. That won't happen with a gear drive. The worst that could happen would be a bad clutch and stripped synchros.

Most of the newer hydro tractors have separate pumps anyway for the transmission and the lift hydraulics, which takes a considerable amount of stress off the main drive pump.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 08-28-2005, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 4100 to 4700 is aviable in hydro, shuttle trans, electric shuttle trans. The 790 and 990 are gear shiftonly. And its inbetween your legs. Which is a real pain.

Well gears drives are cheaper, but you can easly tear up a gear when shifting. Seen it done. I like the hydro's when your have employees running it. Less likely to damage it. I push dirt all the time with my kubota. No problems yet. (knock on wood)

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Old 08-28-2005, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It basically boils down to personal preference.

I like the simplicity and durability of a gear drive for heavy work (ground engaging). I don't mind having to shift as I know I'm in full control of the power.

However for mowing, I really like the hydrostatics because its easier to maintain a constant speed, and doesn't damage the grass as much as a gear drive would on wet grass, a hydro is easier to 'feather' to avoid turf damage.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 08-29-2005, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely personal preference. My own machine is gear drive, and I didn't think too highly of hydros until I ran a Kubota B21 for a day. The hydro took some time to get used to, but after a while it became second nature. When I got back on the gear drive machine it felt awkward and slow.