Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2005, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Leaf Bagger

Ok guys, here is the story. I feel that the reason most of my lawn cutting customers stick with me is 1. I provide reliable service. 2. I do mulch and shrub trimming in the spring, lawncutting throughout the year, and have told all customers that I do leaf cleanups in the fall. I am not cheap so my customers could easily find a company that would undercut me. 3. My work is excellent.

I dont have the equiptment for leaves at this time. I have a husqy 165bt backpack, and NO bagger for my exmark 60". A guy around here is selling a used bagger for an exmark for $1000. It is in fair condition, but $1000 seems high. I am very concerned that if I dont buy this bagger, and dont do leaves, many of my lawn cutting customers will find other companys to do their leaf cleanups and then just have them do their grass cutting also for convenience.

I have thought about it and for me, my budget, and the lawns around me, the most efficient setup would be a guy with a backpack and then a guy with a mower and bagger. I would just have the guy with the backpack blow the leaves out of the beds and away from the house and then I would just run them over with the Exmark. When the bags got full I would either dump them where the customer requested, or put them in bags. If I bagged them I would either leave them for the trash guys to pick up (which they will) or I could load them into my truck and trailer and take them to one of my customers who puts leaves in her flower beds, she said she wants as many leaves as possible.

My other option would be to get either another backpack or a walkbehind blower, but then I still have no way of picking up the leaves. I could get them in a huge pile by the street and pay a buddy of mine to suck them up with his leaf loader and dump truck, but I dont like the idea of relying on other people. Also the city does not offer leaf pickup.

What do you guys think I should do?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Go with a bagger dude. I got a price of $1300 for new one to fit a 52" Exmark. Should pay for itself by the end of November. I would charge to haul also.

Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp w/ultravac
Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp
Quick 36
Honda 21" push
Toro 21" push
2005 Ford F-150
6.5x16 trailer
Echo SRM260
Echo PAS 260
Echo Back Pack Blower
Echo Handheld Blower
Accelerator Bagger
Old 08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Look into an "Accelerator" bag I'm sure they are far less than a Exmark type and I think they hold about 9 bushels. Look at the sponsor site above and click on thier logo.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I will definetly charge to hual and to dump also.