Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2005, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

waste of time?

i just started school today at a local college for landscape and turf,people are telling me its a wast of time and money. Everyone is saying that i can learn the business just from experience. i was just wondering what do you guys think?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

education

where are you going, owens, i dint think any education is a wast of time, in my case it was a waste of money, but not the time

spent seven years getting a bachlors degree.....
6 full time
Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

yes dave owens matter of fact thates where im posting from
Old 08-22-2005, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

dave do u cut in northwood origon area?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Which is cheapest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck
i just started school today at a local college for landscape and turf,people are telling me its a wast of time and money. Everyone is saying that i can learn the business just from experience. i was just wondering what do you guys think?
I know for certain that experience cost more than an education. I have my doctorate from the UNIVERSITY of HARD KNOCKS. It cost a fortune! A very,very wise man once told me "A fool learns from experience and a wise man learns from the fool." Think about it.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

lol thanks for the advise
Old 08-22-2005, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends entirely on where you want to go. Do you plan on just doing lawns or going to work for someone else? ie:golf course or chemical company, architect. I started pursuing a turf degree but changed to business admin. along the way. Business degrees apply to many jobs and if I wanted to do something else I can. Most likely I'll do something green industry related in the future but I could do something else too. What is it you want to learn? How to run a business or more about the green side? You can always pick up other courses later or pursue a dual major. I know people that take some of the same business classes that I do but go to the Morrison School of Agribusiness. (ASU) Most of the stuff is applicable to both green and non-green industry. What specifiacally do you want? The people I took turf/hort classes with are working for golf courses, fert/chemical companies (I mean Syngenta, Clearly etc.), some are working at pest control companies etc.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

i just want my business to grow and expand as much as possible
Old 08-22-2005, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any education is a benefit but if business is your primary focus then I think a business degree may benefit you more but that is just my opinion. You have to decide what is best for you long run. More chicks in the biz school than in turf I'd wager, lol.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Major in Horticulture minor in Business That way when you get big enough and the chump with all of that experience says it can't be done and you learned through education/experience that it can tell him do it or walk Education is more important than learning it the hard way it also allows you to come up with out of the box thinking it will also help with the lic you need for fertilizing there is no money to made easily through maintanence the money is in the fertilizing and instilation of the lawn trees and what ever... Remember the hard knocker will tell you experience the smart man who wants someone else to do the work will say education listen to your brain/ family school will earn more than no school most of the time with out an education all that you will be most likely is a lawn mower take it for what it is worth for all of you hard knockers turning red take a deep breath and chill