Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2005, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Toro belt WB

Anyone have a Toro, fixed 48" deck, 15 Kohler, with the T-bar? Just curious how it performs/how it is turning around. I'm used to running a 52" Scag Hydro. I have the opportunity to buy one At Cost.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I don't have a 48", I have a 44", but I imagine they are very similar. Mine has a 15hp Kohler also and is a belt drive. It is a very good mower. Very solid, real nice cut. Turns easily, but you have to muscle it a little for a 3 point turn. If you can get one at cost, buy it.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a t-bar but kawa power and 52'' floating deck. Its a poor mans hydro, works really nice just dont plan on using it on hills and make sure the ground is nice and level that you plan on mowing

Old 08-24-2005, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Multiple Toro Prolines

32"-52", all belt drive. The only one I truly hate using is the 32 because there is no weight in the front and the front wheels are hard rubber. Beats the hell out of you even on smooth ground, but comes in handy when gates are small.
They'll drive great as long as you have the input and brake links adjusted properly and you only use Toro belts. All the knock-offs I've used have stretched excessively and failed way early. We have a good number of properties where you have to beat the hell out of the machines (very steep hills with trees on them, rough surfaces, and lots of curb-hopping) and the belts show the strain first.
Like every other thing in life, if you take care of it it will take care of you. That 48" deck with a set of Jungle Wheels will give you plenty of leverage to turn it on a dime without tilling up the ground.
The linkage adjustments counteract each other (More forward bite=less braking) so belts can be a PITA, but I like the ability to slide sideways down a cliff (>45 degrees) and still be in some control while cutting.