Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-30-2005, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Home Zero Turn Advice :p

Hi all,

I have a half acre, and quite frankly Im tired of mowing it for an hour and a half with my 21" Craftsman push mower. My yard is heavily landscaped, and I would like to drastically cut the time in half (or more). Having recently joined the ranks of the living dead (homeownership), I have given up all my toys.....boats, cars, etc and would like to have fun while I mow. I also have size requirements to consider; my largest gate opening is 47".
From what I can gather, any mower worth its weight is in the prosumer-commercial class.....from what Im told the CONsumer models dont hold up (even for my half acre).
The makes that I have been looking into recently through going to dealerships and looking online are the following:

Ariens, Toro, Husqvarna, Dixon, Cub Cadet, and Gravely. I know there are alot more, but these are the only ones that I have had the opportunity to look at recently.

So far I like the Gravely commercial PM34Z best, for its heavy, durable construction and most of all can fit through 36" openings (but at 4900$....ouch!). On the pro-sumer side I liked the Dixon Speedster ZTR 44 and RAM ZTR 42 (not as durable, but seemed pretty tough).

I guess what Im looking for from you guys are some suggestions for some zero turns that I havent mentioned, and possibly some input on the ones I have.

The three things that are most important to me are:
1) price...under $4500
2) durability
3) under 47" overall (the less the better).

And one last thing.....your thoughts on the higher end consumer (non-commercial) zero turns.

Sorry for the dissertation,

Bill

Last edited by NewYorkrookie; 07-30-2005 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2005, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

My dad has about 1/2 acre and has had a dixon for the last 7 years or so. I started with a 5023 wich is not that far off from the larger dixon you mentioned. Great for homeowner. So so for a commercial cutter. I have a super mini z now and my dad trys to ride it every chance he gets.

I would look into a hustler fastrack or mini fastrack. I also think the gavely or dixon would suit your needs. Stay clear of ztr's at non dealers. Do you have a trailer? What is your dealer like for these units? Will they pick up and drop off for a reasonable price? What kind of waranty do they offer?

The other avenue you can venture into is getting something used. Be very careful though. Look for low hours and a dealer that will support you. With that kind of money you can pick up a pretty good, used, fully commercial unit and then your in a whole new ball game.

Good luck,
Cutter LLC
Old 07-30-2005, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely makes a ZTR 1434, 14HP 34 inch cut almost bought it myself, had a chance to take it for a spin at the dealer very very nice peice of equipment, sells for around 2100 i beleive

1970 John Deere 110 38A Mower
1988 John Deere 180 With 48" Mower and 42" Front Blade
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Old 07-31-2005, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

We bought a Landpride 44" zero turn had no problems with it. Works great and i belive it was either 4 grand or under. Its a great little lawnmower.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag makes a 36" and a 42" true commercial ZTR and I priced the 36" at 4500.00.
The Hustler Mini fastraks 36" and 42" models have consumer hydro units rated for 800hrs.

scag
Old 08-02-2005, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Rookie, I don't think you would be making a mistake with any of the aforementioned ZTR's Hustler fastrack or mini Z , Gravely also has a new residential line that could see commercial duty (2148xl) but that might be too big at 48",and I haven't looked at the 1434 model so I can't speak about it.

The toro line seems to be an option as well but I don't have any real knowledge on them either.... When buying a Z try to find one that is using good pumps like parker,that seems to be the pump others are judged buy...
Old 08-02-2005, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

alot of the consumer (non-commercial) zero turns are not equipped with the same engines as the commercial models ..
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

you might try simplicity. they make a 18hp 44" at around 4000.00. commercial grade pumps and wheel motors.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

imo. hustler minifasttrak.!!!!!!!! 17hp/42 in. it will fit through the gate, has an excellent cut, a reputation for durability and great factory support. you should be albe to find one for about $3200. as cited in a previous post, the pumps are rated for 800 hrs. it has a 3 yr warranty on the machine for residential use (it even has a commercial warranty) it will mow your half acre in less than hr., probably more like 30 mins. i have 1/3 acre and i takes me about 25 mins with a good bit of landscaping. i looked at the ariens/gravely 17/40's, the cc and husq at lowe's, snappers, and dixon and liked the mft. my dad has dixon (15/40(?)). it just isn't in the same league with the hustler. my cousin owns a dixon dealership. the best he would do was $300 more for 38" with a 15hp b&s.
the best advice is to demo as many as you can. everyone has their opinion and want to feel that what they have was the best purchase. put me in that category as well.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are already used to walking behind a 21", walk behinds are half price the zero turns. Put a sulky behind it and ride if you have to. Sure, the zero turns are nice, but at what price? Money's no issue? More power to you.