Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2005, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutthroat Mowing

Is it wrong to cut another LLC throat if you know there prices ?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

absolutley not if they cast it out to the world what they get for a job and you think you can do it for a cheaper price and still make money go for it, remember bmurrell it is a dog eat dog world i think i got u the flemingsburg pressure washing job and a few others
Old 08-22-2005, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just remember what goes around, comes around.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

When did you find that out ?

When did you find that out . When do they want that done ?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

every one in this business has had someone else step on their toes once in awhile i have only been doing this for 7 years and knock on wood it has not happend yet but i dont tell anyone my prices you are right what goes around comes around bmurrell managment said it could be soon he said hudd will make wint#$@##! make the wash it
Old 08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

next time you are there give them my new # you have been doing this for 7 year and never been stepped on or had your throat cut ?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Why?

Why lower the price

This guy could just be

If it costs him $5 to cut a lawn and it costs you $10 and you lower the price he just may come back and lower it again

I am going to get as much as i can and do a good job
Old 08-22-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I personally will NOT do it and I have thought about it many times this past year. I just dont feel good about it and before I become that kind of person will quit the biz. Im not going to lie though, I amost posted a thread awhile back that I was going to do that (out of anger/dispair) but changed my mind. I also feel what goes around comes around. I was going to go after the 2 big dogs here but got a bad feeling when I wrote up my add and decided to wait and glad I did.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if you even have to ask

i dont think you would ever understand...
6 full time
Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan 281
Why lower the price

This guy could just be
If it costs him $5 to cut a lawn and it costs you $10 and you lower the price he just may come back and lower it again
I am going to get as much as i can and do a good job
There are 2 rules in my business I learned over time not to break:
1) NEVER take another lco's work, not in any fashion or for any reason.
2) NEVER play the bidding game (ok except maybe commercial contracts where this is the name of the game).

Were I to find out someone's playing the bidding game with me, I got enough work and income where I can easily do one or two yards for free and I mean FREE... I'm not stupid enough to do that even out of spite, nevertheless I could knock another 5 dollars off the price and then when the other lco outbids me again THEN they can have it, so now the other lco gets to do my 30-dollar yard for 20 dollars, 25 at best IF I don't play the stupid game and even if they get 25, why not just let it go and keep that slot on your schedule open because once that slot is occupied, I found out you will MISS the good paying folks because while the phonecall for the real money comes in is while you're out cutting the low-ball yard and you may not believe me but the resentment from having been there lingers on to this day.

But it isn't always the lco's fault. Yes there are customers who play us out against each other and it has been my experience THOSE customers are almost always real pitas who expect (and want) a LOT for next to nothing. Never assume this kind of customer will appreciate the good rate you gave them, after all they are playing dirty and if they're willing to do that then as far as I'm concerned, I gotta go because there is NO guarantee they will not play me dirty as well and I speak from experience on that last note.

Last but not least, one of my favorite things to do is read other flyers I find from time to time. Every once in a while I find one that is obviously a low-baller deal (such as one that says 'Will beat any estimate by 10%') so I put that flyer in my pocket and then when I get a low-balling customer, I give them a dirt-cheap written estimate and tell them to call THIS guy as I hand them both the estimate AND the flyer. Then there is always the exception where THAT guy will refuse to do the work and they call me BACK (hehehe) and this is where I understand I am under NO obligation to go do the work because you see, the bidding game works both ways - In my business, highest-paying jobs ALWAYS get priority One when it comes down to this so IF I got time AFTER I finish all the higher bidders AND my regular customers are taken care of THEN I'll consider doing that low-ball job which usually means I do NOT get it done and it also means some low-baller lco will end up doing it OR they do it themselves OR it never gets done.

So as you see ANY of us can play dirty too, and this is why I no longer resort to these bidding / low-balling games because what goes around DOES come around. Nowadays they can either afford my rates or they can't and that cuts out all the bs and there is no reason to play dirty no more. Once I stopped playing these silly games I found life got easier and the pay got better as a SLEW of these folk stopped wasting my time and are now evidently playing the game with someone else and that's just dandy as well.

Last edited by topsites; 08-22-2005 at 11:56 PM.