Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-24-2005, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Snake encounter

Just a reminder, to be always on the watch for snakes. They may be in the least expected places as well as the "snakey" areas.

I was trimming along a sidewalk this pm that had a flower bed between it and the yard. This "bad boy" waited until I had passed him with the trimmer and decided to take a hit at my leg. Luckily I had on jeans and boots, and he was not large enough to get through the jeans. He struck at least one other time as I was dancing an Irish jig trying to get the trimmer head on him. Finally made connection with the trimmer, but this threw him right back at my feet again. He was a gonner by then though (as I almost was too). Only about 2 1/2 feet long, but big enough to make my heart beat way too fast. I'm too old for that kind of excitement. I was proud that I "stayed around" and fought, though. It's a wonder I didn't take off running and yelling.

I thought he was a pine snake, but a neighbor of the account I was mowing said he was some kind of moccasin. Also, I didn't think pine snakes were aggressive, and this snake meant to do harm. Wish I cound send a pic for identification from some of you snake experts, but don't have that capability.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The moccasins are very aggessive this time of year. Gator magnum and the Stihl FS110 will eat them for lunch though.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't really want to see a picture of the snake although you dancing a jig in the yard would be funny to see.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLAWN
Don't really want to see a picture of the snake although you dancing a jig in the yard would be funny to see.

Me too

John
Old 08-24-2005, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Poor snake. I really have feelings for animals I dont know why, If I see a roach in the house I go and put it outside.. I just can't kill them.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A Water Mocassin is a bad dude. They are aggressive as you say and poisoinous as they can be. Did you notice a SMELL? Water Mocassins have a strong and distinct smell that once you have smelled it you will go on the alert whenever you smell one again.

Back in the days of baling hay in square bales was common, I picked up many a haybale in the field to load on the truck or trailer with a snake sticking out of it. They were almost always dead either from the extreme pressure of the baling process or usually the knives in the baler would cut them in half. One time I saw a snakes tail sticking out of a bale and just assumed it was dead so I grabbed the bale. The tail started moving pretty fast and for some reason I set the worlds record time for stacking a bale of hay. When we got to the barn and were unloading we tossed the bale aside and cut the wire. It was only a chicken snake and it crawled away slowly but did not make it far.

We NEVER understood how the snake survived the baling process.

If you smelled something, remember the smell and be wary the next time you smell it.

Good luck,
Doc
Old 08-24-2005, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

lack of experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe721
Poor snake. I really have feelings for animals I dont know why, If I see a roach in the house I go and put it outside.. I just can't kill them.

hahahaa figures..... thats it let the snake win, and you dont think the roach went right back inside to his thousands of little brothers.....hahahahah
6 full time
Old 08-24-2005, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh boy, I feel the same as you about snakes

It seems to bring some amazing foot work outta me when they attack. My crew says I'm funny to watch, kind of a skipping motion with a few twists and usually a great expression on my face. I don't know what it is but being surprised by a snake sends me packing like a little girl.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe721

dont know about roaches, but im the same way, these idiots let their back yard get 2ft tall before, all of a sudden i have baby bunnies running all over, it took me about 25minutes to find them all and try and pick some up and scare the rest out of the area, i hit one, partially and felt really bad about it. Ive moved a number of bunnies from yard where they burrow small nests under the lawn area. Ive seen a couple snakes too and usually they scatter or ill pick them up and move them away from where im cutting, most are harmless in this area. I even wait a few extra seconds for the big grasshoppers and all or Praying Mantis ill move to plants where theyre high up.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I destroyed a family of rabbits this spring. Was not my intent but they were unseen until they discharged in many pieces. 18000 RPM is pretty destructive.....felt a little sick....but moved on.......

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama