Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Delivery and set-up

I was thinking of offering delivery and set-up this year. I just dont know where to begin in pricing this. Then I was thinking do I want to get involved in putting the lights on the tree or do I want to offer a full tree decorating service. Then the mind wanders and I think do I want to be bothered or will this come back to bite me in the hiney. Any suggestions of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Malvern, Pa 19355
610-590-0150
---------------------------------------------------

Some people are like Slinkies--- Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of steps.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have heard of a few doing this but i dont know the profit margins. personally i just dont think you could do that very well with it. with the pice of gas going up i dont see it. the time you spent loading everything up and buying the decorations, getting there, then setting everything up. i bet you would lose money
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea That is what I was thinking I just needed someone else to tell me the same thing
Malvern, Pa 19355
610-590-0150

Some people are like Slinkies--- Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of steps.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We don't do the lights or anything else, but we do deliver the tree, bring it in and set it in a washtub, and ice it. After Christmas, we come back and get the tree and plant it in a pre determined area of the lawn. 5' B&Bs Colorados,Frasiers, and long needled White Pine start at $ 275.00 and up for this service. We have even sold a few 10-12 footers in the past, but those require a little more manpower, more like machine power to deliver and set, and cost quite a bit more than 300 bucks...lol .
Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we deliver the trees that we sell over 12 ft because they're so big it takes at least 2 guys to put them in their place, just eaier if we do it then hear the customer broke himself or the tree...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

What would be the reason for icing a tree?
Malvern, Pa 19355
610-590-0150

Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have always iced the rootballs on Christmas trees due to stress and acclimation. The root balls are usually near frozen or close to frozen on delivery, and adding ice on top of the ball after setting it up allows for a slow drip watering for the first few days, and lets the rootball even out in temperature. Some people keep their houses excessively warm in the winter, and this allows the tree to better acclimate itself to its new temporary home. I tell my clients to add ice about every two or three days.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You would be surprised at what people will pay to have a tree set up. I used to set deliver and set up cut trees over 12 feet for company I worked for. Minimum charge was 175. Usually got $20 tip on top of the charge

I just set up an 18 footer (cut) and put the lights on it (their lights) for over $1,000 dollars.

May not be an every day occurence but it is something I will continue to offer.