Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

new plan

Hello I was looking for some advice on a new mower. I only have 4 clients now but im very serious and plan to advertize vary hard into the new season. Im using a 6hp crapsman mower now (all small to average yards). of course I would love to invest is a bigger mower but I think I should get a top of the line i/c 22'' intill I land more bisiness. Ive been looking at the $1,150 honda commercial. Does anyone know of a relly good i/c 21'' or so. I plan to be in the bisines many years at least so I want top quality. Thanks for the help.

Jody
Old 08-24-2005, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Look into the Snapper 21"s
Old 08-24-2005, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My residential Honda 21 walk behind has lasted me and still runs and performs as well as day one! $400 and not a single problem. Why spend $1150 for a mower when in a year it could be demoted to trim and small lawn mower. I have 20 lawns that i used to use this mower on until this year. Mine has been demoted to trim and small yard mower this year because i bought the eXmark. I would just get the $400 Honda instead of the $1150 honda. Yeah it says commercial and is probably build a lot heavier than this one, but look at the price difference. They are built great, the service is great, and they are very reliable. The only time it takes more than one pull to start is the first time starting it for the season. In your position i wouldn't suggest dropping $1150 on a 21 inch mower. Start small and work your way up. Good Luck and i hope this has helped. Sorry it is sooo long and welcome to lawnsite!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 08-24-2005, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyLee
Hello I was looking for some advice on a new mower. I only have 4 clients now but im very serious and plan to advertize vary hard into the new season. Im using a 6hp crapsman mower now (all small to average yards). of course I would love to invest is a bigger mower but I think I should get a top of the line i/c 22'' intill I land more bisiness. Ive been looking at the $1,150 honda commercial. Does anyone know of a relly good i/c 21'' or so. I plan to be in the bisines many years at least so I want top quality. Thanks for the help.

Jody

I would not go and buy a commercial 21", that $1,150 could buy a pretty nice used belt driven WB. You could find a deal for a 48" used WB for $750 or even less that will still last you a long time and be well worth the money spent. I would keep the Craftsman you run now for difficult to navigate areas. That is what I did - started with a residential 21" Cub Cadet push and now have added an eXmark Viking 48" and with that combination you've opened yourself up to so many more mowing opportunities. Good Luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Well you guys are write 1100 for a little mower seems to much right now but I will definatly need a new mower by the end of the season. Ive been looking at the 21'' honda with caster weels. Does anyone know the pros and cons of the caster weels (looks very manuverable). Im just trying to find the best bang for my buck. Also im trying to start a honest bussiness but Nobody is gunna give a reasonable warinty on these mowers if I say im starting a bussiness. so what im wondering is is if it whould be a bad ideah to act like the mower was gunna be for my own lawn? Would they ever know? Whats the worst that could happen?

Thanks, Jody
Old 08-24-2005, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have tried one and it sucks. With the castors they stick way out in the front so you cant drive straight up as close to objects as the fixed wheels. Especially if this mower will most likely end up being a small yard and backyard mower, you need it to fit in some tight spaces. In my opinion i would just save that extra $ from the one with the castors and get a fixed wheel one. The are a lot easier to use and cheaper. In my opinion it is not worth the money but that is just my 2 cents! Good Luck!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Should have read this post before adding mine...anyways, I'm in the same boat as to whether buy a new commercial mower because I'm getting so frustrated with my Snappers.... THEY SUCK.. My 95 lasted 9 years, great machine, so I decided to buy another one and didn't last the whole summer last year.. POS. Bought another one this summer and its falling apart already..POS... worst bagging machine I have ever known...
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

i use a John Deere Js 63c with the caster wheels they can be nice at time but who cant just tilt the mower up and rotate it. The biggest problem ive had is when mowing on a hill if it tries to tip the casters bend very easily and are a pain to straighten back out, ever since the first time this happened the lock cable has been hard to move from lock to unlock. also as stated before the wheels hang out too far in the front making it hard to get close to stuff without turning the mower side ways(not always easy to do in some spots). I got the mower in trade with my accountant for 100 dollars worth of cutting and only one seasons use on the mower is the only reason i have it i would rather have one with out the caster wheels. the cut is very nice on the mower though
Old 08-25-2005, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRave07
I would not go and buy a commercial 21", that $1,150 could buy a pretty nice used belt driven WB. You could find a deal for a 48" used WB for $750 or even less that will still last you a long time and be well worth the money spent. I would keep the Craftsman you run now for difficult to navigate areas. That is what I did - started with a residential 21" Cub Cadet push and now have added an eXmark Viking 48" and with that combination you've opened yourself up to so many more mowing opportunities. Good Luck.
I agree 100%, you need a GRASS-cutting machine and not some toy. I bought a 5-year old Proline 48" 15hp Kohler with velke AND bagger for 1,000 bucks in my 2nd year and am still using it 2.5 years later. Although not AS good as my new '05 proline, it nevertheless kicks serious butt and I still use it a LOT because it cuts an acre in 45-60 minutes.

I have never owned and never will own a pushmower, I don't believe in them, they are heavy, slow, and don't cut fast enough... My 48" cuts 3-4 times the grass in the same time.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

see this is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe721
Look into the Snapper 21"s
not even close to the right answer
6 full time