Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2005, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

At my wits end

This 1996'ish 22hp kohler is killing me!!!
Has good compression(100+psi) , good spark , clean carb and is getting fuel.
I did a leak down test on both cylinders and both checked out good.
So WHY will it not start or even give me a spuder?
I even sprayed starter fluid down the carb just to get something and still nothing!
I have been working on motors for most of my life so I like to think I know what I am doing. But this machine wonts to just make a fool of me. lol
You name it I try'ed it.
What bothers me the most is when I do get it to start(we are talking just the rite combination of choke , throttle and lots and lots of cranking) It runs great! No misses , no backfires and cuts great.
Could it be something to do with the governor? I try'ed just about every thing els.
If you look at my other post(very hard starting 22hp kohler) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=116835
I have the combination on how to start it and also some of the things I already try'ed .

Thanks for any input
Old 08-25-2005, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is a problem much more common with the much smaller engines, but have you checked the crankshaft key? If you can get your hands on a manual and check ignition timing I think it would be a worthwhile step.

Best of luck,
Doc
Old 08-25-2005, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

.... I think MBDiagMan is on the right track. I was going to suggest timing myself. Years ago I had an identical condition as you are having now, it does NOT take much. The “KEY” on the shaft had shifted do to hard use and a soft metal “KEY”. After realigning the shaft and replacing the “KEY” my problem disappeared.

.... Good luck and would like to hear your outcome .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
This is a problem much more common with the much smaller engines, but have you checked the crankshaft key? If you can get your hands on a manual and check ignition timing I think it would be a worthwhile step.

Best of luck,
Doc
Old 08-25-2005, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok I am going to check the key and shaft tonight.
Also how would you check timing ? Do i need a special timing lite of some sort?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

.... Not trying to side step your question. I would need to know more about your engine. It's been a while for me. The manual should tell you. But, if you check the “KEY” and “KEY WAY” and it is aligned correctly, then most likely your timing is dead on. As I stated before, it doesn't take MUCH to be off. Not knowing your engine, while you have it apart check and make sure your electrical components are aligned and in there rightful places and are tight and secure. Of course, the best way to do this correctly is to read and fully understand the manual the same as I would have to do.

.... Good luck, keep us posted as to your progress .

Quote:
Originally Posted by exandscag
Ok I am going to check the key and shaft tonight.
Also how would you check timing ? Do i need a special timing lite of some sort?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

It's a 22hp Kohler cv22
Thanks for the tips
Old 08-25-2005, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I had an identical problem with a kohler 20 it turned out to be a fusible link...go figure. I don't know what exactly it was controlling but, when you would get it started it would sputter and if you got the choke and fuel just right it would run but as soon as you put a load on the motor it would die out. I know it sounds funny but check the fuses and check the fusible links. If It has any. hope this helps, I also thought mine was a timing problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

.... Yes, I too have had those “go figure” problems or should I say opportunities also. Have a Tecumseh engine that would ONLY idle VERY slowly. If you touched the throttle it stopped dead, if you breathed on it it would stopped dead. Yes dead, that sensitive. Checked just about everything and everything looked good, scratched my head on that one. Come to find out there was a TINY hair line crack, right at the base of the spark plug (barely see it). Changed the plug, haven't had a problem with it since.

.... Sometimes another set of eyes and ears or two see things that one may overlook or NOT see completely, different point of view and or different frame of mind. I know you used the word funny but the truth of the matter is all those STRANGE circumstances need to be checked out.

.... Sharing your sentiments .

Quote:
Originally Posted by a a green
I had an identical problem with a kohler 20 it turned out to be a fusible link...go figure. I don't know what exactly it was controlling but, when you would get it started it would sputter and if you got the choke and fuel just right it would run but as soon as you put a load on the motor it would die out. I know it sounds funny but check the fuses and check the fusible links. If It has any. hope this helps, I also thought mine was a timing problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

yes , I did use the word "Funny", thats only because I had to laugh at myself for not looking at the obvious things first. You are correct the better word in that case should be "Strange". It is one of those things you look at 100 times and still don't think that could be the problem. When you realize it is you just have to laugh at yourself.... otherwise you'll get
Old 08-26-2005, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input.
Had to much work to do yesterday so all i was able to do was disconnect the oil level switch to see if that would change anything. It did not .
Today if time permits I plan on going over the hole elc. system with a meter just to make sher all wires go and function like they should.
Also plan on pulling the fly weal to check the key.
I just have this funny feeling that it's going to be something small that I could have picked up on if I did a elc system check first instead of expecting the worst and jumping rite into that. Some times we make rookie mistakes just to keep us from thinking we know everything. LOL
Well anyway if it turns out to be something small like I now expect it to be I will expect and deserve razing from some of you's .
Thanks every one this site really is the best out there.