Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2005, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota ZD owners any transmission troubles?

I demoed a Kubota ZD25 today. Seems like an awsome mower but my buddy told me he got rid of his cause of transmission troubles. Any of you out there had trouble with your ZD's tranny's?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

only trouble I had was it would not keep up with our Scag mower and would leave grass shooters even after several return trips to dealer other wise a great machine but sold it and bought a Scag Turf Tiger
Old 08-13-2005, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a ZD21 in 2000. At 200 hours it started acting weird. At 225 hours it got really bad, and we took it to the dealer. It was a bad bearing on the input shaft of the pump. The early models like I have used a bushing on the pump imput and some of the units had early failures.The newer units all have bearings in them, which solved the problem. Well, Kubota installed a complete new transaxle assy in our machine and not just replaced the pump.I now have over 1400 hours and 4 seasons on this mower and it has been a great , dependable mower.My next mower will be a Kubota too.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does Kubota have their transmission set up like the other brands hustler, scag exmark and so on?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Kubota does things different. On most commercial mowers, they have a seperate pump and motor (usually Hydro Gear pumps and Parker motors). On lower cost machines (i.e. homeowner), they use an integrated pump/motor/gearbox called an IZT from Hydro Gear. Kubota built a heavy duty IZT and connected the two sides with a gearbox to be shaft driven from the engine. If you look back through some of the past posts, I think Kubota had some problems with the early transmissions. I know the local dealer told me some stories about it.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got 850 hours on mine, bought new in June of last year.

So far the only problem I've had is the rod that lifts the deck up and down broke. Last week I finally replaced the deck belt.

Other than that I've got to keep the little utility flags out of the front tires.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota ZD

I purchased a ZD-21 pro 60 in July of 2003. I do not mow commerically so I don't have alot of hours on it, but I love the mower! I get a kick out of these guys with all the so called "problems" they have. The Kubota is built like a tank, good suspension seat, hyd clutch, economical diesel engine with plenty of power. I have had no problems and think they are great mowers. I am sure the boys with the exmarks and others never have problems with all the belts running every which way, sitting on a seat bolted directly to the mower, sitting in front of a hot air cooled gas engine! Well to each his own, thats why they make so many different kinds of mowers, cars, trucks, etc. Cheers!
Old 08-28-2005, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

My ZD-21 broke a steel hydraulic line soon after the warranty expired. The repair cost, labor and haulage included, came to more than 300 dollars. The breakage was not caused by anything done to the mower, but reflected either a material failure or a fatigue failure due to design.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlee
My ZD-21 broke a steel hydraulic line soon after the warranty expired. The repair cost, labor and haulage included, came to more than 300 dollars. The breakage was not caused by anything done to the mower, but reflected either a material failure or a fatigue failure due to design.

Yes, these are a problem, the lower tube develops a stress crack where it bolts in, cost to repair (myself) $52.00 I have a zd28 and a new scag...I'll be replacing the kubota with another scag!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you want a Kubota diesel on a mid-mount mower, then Grasshopper is the way to go.

322D or 428D

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"