Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_plant_art
got out of the "working world" thought lawn care would be great....... 3 years and 142 accounts later i am thinking of selling it off to go back to the "working world" make sure it is what you want to do ... you think you have a headache now.... hire 2 people, buy another truck, ugh the headaches............
ahhh, fire the 2 ppls and do it solo.
Trust me, the real world hasn't changed a bit, every once in a while I think that way too and it is hard to imagine how BAD it sucked once you been doing it for 4 years, I tend to forget but rest assured that NOTHING has changed and if anything, it's gotten worse.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Loud1, I would suggest you OBSERVE, OBSERVE, OBSERVE!!! When driving through your neighborhood pull over and observe other LCO's. Observe their equipment, time it takes to mow, etc...

Another point is do you live in a subdivion of 100K homes or 300k or up. Can you park a trailer out front with signs on vehicle or will you be loading and unloading equipment each day. Opps @#$%#@$ I forgot my gas can Syndrome.

I have a few 55+ communities that I can not mow after 3pm or on Sunday. Rules and Regulations.

Also realize that as business grows you will be purchasing new or used equip. This takes money. If you are starting from scratch, that is exactly what you have, SCRATCH.

This is America!! Shoot for the stars... Maybe we will all be working for you someday!!
Old 08-27-2005, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Am I Nuts???

All,

Thanks for your candid responses. Let me clarify a few things as I don't think I did a good job explaining myself in the original post as I tried to keep it as brief as possible.

The part time venture will happen next year. Researching and developing the business plan is how I came across this site and the post is part of that research. I'd like to think that I have sound business sense being in the operations and sales end of the corporate world for the last 20+ years.

I've shared the idea with a few close friends and family members and the comments that I have received have a common theme..."that someone of my age must be crazy for wanting to give up an air conditioned environment to do physical work outdoors, especially in the summer". I guess I've heard it so much that I feel the need to explain that I love the outdoors and don't mind the heat. I sit on my butt for about 10 - 12 hours in my job now and hate the inactivity.

I've looked at the purchasing an existing business and found too few of them at his time, one at $50K and three at over $150K. The first after some questioning became obvious was not a viable business. It was someone who wasn't making any money at it and was really just selling his equipment(truck, mowers, etc.) and a tiny list of customers (less than 20) who didn't cover his costs. I talked to a couple of the last three even though they were asking beyond what I could afford, they seemed like good established businesses that were full serve. Even though I was employed in the business it was a long time ago and I do not feel I am ready to jump into full service. The owners also gave me the indication that they wanted to sell and be done with the business. Lets face it, you can't learn everything you need to know in a couple of weeks in this business, we are not talking about buying some type of franchise here. Also, from a customer's perspective, if you were doing business with a company for years and they were providing you multiple services, would you stay with that company if it was sold and the number of services was reduced due to the new owners inexperience? Would you still feel a loyalty to that company. I'd like to learn the business from the ground up. I can just about guarantee that I'll make some mistakes out there, some may even loose me a customer, but I'll be able to recover from them if the initial investment is lower.

It's funny, I never thought of the Lawn business as one that inspired romance as a couple of you mentioned. I'm tired of the corporate world where long ours and lots of pressure pay off for someone else. There are a lot of other ventures that I could have looked at besides a Lawn business. If I was looking for something with romance t I'd join the theater.

One last thing, I do know someone in the Laundromat business. According to him they are going broke much faster than Lawn businesses.

Keep the comments coming.

Regards, to you all.

Loud1
Old 08-27-2005, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
Well yes it is true, we ALL went throu the same spiel I guess it's just us trying to save someone else the headaches but I guess they're going to be there regardless.
I mean I don't disagree with what anybody said and I don't intend to ruffle any feathers. I appreciate and enjoy all of the comments on here, but I just felt like the guy was looking for somebody to believe in him and what he wants to do. So to get some acceptance he said, or tried to say all of the "right" things. However, since we are all rookies we can only cross some bridges when we get to them. Some people aren't going to be supportive of him just for the fact that he is making a go at what he wants/likes to do, and they are going to some job everyday that they dread. So they don't want to see you moving forward with things, or don't know how to accept it. At any rate I feel like we just have to do what we have to do. Personally, I'm going to go the part time route and make adjustments when I see the need. I like my bennies from my full time job.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i beleive in you

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo
im 43, and after working in the heat this year, i can really bust a$$, probably better then most 20 yer olds.... just start small and dont try to grwo too fast, part time it at first and build a customer base...

good luck

I say if you start part time, and arent quitting your real job, give it a try man,
6 full time