Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2005, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what happens here?

this happened to me this week. #1- the people were getting a new pool liner put in. i cut the front, didn't cut the back (safety hazard, 3 men putting in new liner). the client goes, "well, they'll be done in a little while, you can hang out, or just come back and do the backyard." #2- the street was being paved, the workers told me no driving on the street. i actually thought about parking on the next street, and driving the mower to the house using the sidewalk. that thought lasted about 1.5 seconds, then i snapped out of it. #3- client was having work done inside, but the contractor had all his tools on the front lawn, and a saw thingy set up, where he was cutting a door or something. client said, "oh, he will not be here tommorow, you can come back tommorow." i just smiled and drove away. what is your policy for these 3 scenerios? return the next day? return next week? charge for the wasted trip?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I would just go back tomorrow and not add any fees unless they have done this before.. if they've done this before then definently charge for a wasted trip but first time ahh give them a chance.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess if its not a long drive I would go back the next day...if it was friday I will be back monday
Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Depending on how important the customer is to me, I would schedule to go back and treat it like I had been rained out. This is as long as they don't make a habit of scheduling work that conflicts with the mowing schedule without letting me know.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go next week, usual charges apply. I may go do the paving one the next day if its not too far out of the way, then again I may not.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I show up to work...I show up to invoice. Should circumstances beyond my control, yet in the client's control stop my service from happening, I will still invoice the client. I will, however, try to trim, clean, etc. so they get some bang for their bucks!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

distance

they should have called you and cancelled if they had work being done that day, im pretty shure you stick to a tight schedule, no phone call and i show up, its billed....
6 full time
Old 08-27-2005, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depeneds if I think I could get away with not comming back. I mean you did show up to work. No one called you about it. A trip is a trip.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with you on this one.. Customer is at fault, #1 they should have called and let you know that they are having work done to the pool and please reschedule. #2 they should have called and let you know that road work was being done on there street and please reschedule. I would charge them accordingly.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Park around the corner, mow as much as possible, blow off trimming and edging, bill the full amount, and clean it up next week. Every once in a while you have to work around other contractors. Roofers,pool people, painters, etc. Customers will understand. If the other contractors posess any courtesy they will move as much as possible out of your way.