Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2005, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

chem fert spray?

I have been recomending diffrent guys around to do my spraying, but to be honest, I am realy getting fed up with them all right now, I am thinking about getting my licence and a rig. I was wanting to know how many of you guys do your own spraying. and is it worth the time and money to do your own, I only want to do my own yards, to time to do anybody elses. Pluse that way my yards look the best around. any input would be great.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend who started spraying and he got fed up with it and went back to mowing. He said people complain too much about having 2 or 3 weeds in the yard. He tried to explain to them it takes time and from what I seen the yards were gorgeuos. This has caused me to step back and think about it a little cuz I was thinking of doing it myself.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a great guy that does mine . Perf-a -lawn . I was slinginging lesco fert an herbs w/out proper permits.I will admit ,it has cost me some money in profits but in the long run , the risk of getting busted an the quality of liquid vs granular is much better
Old 08-27-2005, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclifflawn
I have been recomending diffrent guys around to do my spraying, but to be honest, I am realy getting fed up with them all right now, I am thinking about getting my licence and a rig. I was wanting to know how many of you guys do your own spraying. and is it worth the time and money to do your own, I only want to do my own yards, to time to do anybody elses. Pluse that way my yards look the best around. any input would be great.
How many accounts would you be servicing if you got your own rig? Do some math before you make a decision. Consider the money and time invested to get your license and rig set up vs. the return you are likely to get for 1,3 and 5 years out. If you plan on staying in this business long-term and you want to build up your fertilizer business, then eventually I would recommend you take this step. But only if it is a good business decision and you will see a ROI better than investing that money and time into some other aspect of your business. When in doubt contract it out!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Mile High hit it on the head. Depending on how many customers you want to have will determine if it will be profitable for you. If only plan on doing a few customers and not expanding then don't do it. If you plan on getting large amounts of customer, then go for it. Applications can be more profitable than mowing if done correctly. Just be smart about it. Ask questions if you are unsure about something or how or what to charge for. The only reason why i say that is because i have a buddy of mine that wasn't making any money doing applications. I took a look at his app. program made a few suggestions. If he implimented everything i told him to, he'd put $12,000 back in his pocket and that's without adding 1 customer to his route! That's $12,000 of PURE profit back in his pocket! Huge number!

And for goodness sakes, make sure you get licensed!! A fine is the quickest way to lose your profit and/or business!