Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2005, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Invading vine-like type of grass

Hi all,

I have an issue where a vine-type of grass is growing faily quickly and killing the nice grass.

I first started noticing it in march and then it was fairly small but now has extended to about an area of 10 x 10.

This area happens to be located near a planter so my guess is that the owner might have used some bad soil when planting...

Anyway, I don't know if there is a way to selectively kill this invading grass other than using RoundUp..!

If anyone knows the best way to get rid of this invador once and for all and/or the name of this type of grass, it would be much appreciated.

The picture of the root may be found here: Picture

Thank you very much in advance,

Pete.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

What type of grass is this gorwing in? It almost looks like bermuda stolons.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

F6HAWK is right.It's common bermuda.All I can say is,good luck trying to get rid of it.Even Roundup won't do much.It may kill it for a short period,but it will come back.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Possibly the easiest thing to do to combat bermuda is to move down here to the South, where it is commonly accepted as a lawn grass, instead of a weed.

Seriously though, it is VERY difficult to combat. About the only thing I know of that wins over bermuda is centipede. It is truly a persistent woolybooger. Roundup & pulling are only marginally effective against this invasive grass.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Common bermuda, it is native to the south, very drought tollerant and since your in San Diego then it will grow great. It is not shade tollerant, it needs a fairly good supply of sunlight.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Roundup or similar product will kill bermuda grass. Just follow the label instruction and you should have no problems.

If you have it in spots throughout the lawn you'll have to kill off the whole yard. Timming is the key. You want to spray while it's still warm enough that the grass is growing because once it goes dormant you can spray it with whatever you want with no effect. Give it a few weeks after kill, aerate and overseed, fertilize and irrigate. Next spring put down a good pre-m abd you should be okay.

Problem is that if your neighbors have bermuda it will eventually creep into your lawn as well. You can then either spot treat or repeat the process in a few years.

Best of luck.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison
Old 09-02-2005, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Or, if the bermuda is coming from the neighbor's yard, and you have an atrazine-immune grass, you can treat the border with atrazine, it will help keep the bermuda knocked back, plus kills many commons weeds.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I yank it up as soon as it crops up.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Definitely take care of it now with roundup. A bermuda invasion will only get worse, as you've seen by how it has spread so far. It will take a couple of doses of roundup for some of it, so allow yourself a few weeks to achieve a good kill before you overseed.

Your window of opportunity is dwindling, because as someone else here mentioned, once it goes into dormancy, roundup will not be effective on it.