Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2001, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any of you did drug testing on new hires we were thinking of doing it this year as a safty measure for our company. We will need to hire more employees this year but dont realy know how to go about it. any information would be greatly appreciated. btw this site is great i have learned alot from you guys.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

e-man i'm in the same boat as you, i have to hire 1 new guy and i know, i have 2 people trying out for it and i know both of them smoke weed. i really don't want someone like that so i'm thinking of just finding someone else. i don't think it would be worth it and would look bad for the business. i think you would have to make a policy showing that you do this for all employies but i'm not sure, most companies say there manditory its a great idea. call your better business agency and ask them for any advice.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will say this first. I am a ultity construction co/ snowplow co.

We do drug testing on all new hires and random test of current workers. Not only is it a good policy, but a law because of our employees have CDLs.

To get good employees ya have to spend more money

Geoff
Old 03-13-2001, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's tough getting started, and you'll get one or two "surprises" - but the effort is worth it.

Worst part is the first time you can somebody because of it. You'll be shocked by who it is and they will argue big time that "their buddies were doing it and they were just in the same room"......

Best move we ever made here. Customers love it. Most employees like that we do it. Insurance company endorses it.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

JAA -

Random or at new hire?
Old 03-13-2001, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Champion America http://www.championamerica.com has a simple onsite tester in which you just place the substance (most delicate way I could put it) into a cup and read the results on the outside. The cup works in only five minutes or so it is stated. They are relatively inexpensive for the peace of mind that goes along with a clean workforce at $19.85 ea. The name in the catalog is "Drug Check 5".

Bruce
Old 03-13-2001, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As long as they dont smoke weed on the job or come to work high I dont give a damb what they do on there spare time! The first time they come to work stoned though there outta there for good!
Old 03-13-2001, 06:34 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
These drug tests (intrusion of privacy IMHO) are completely unreliable.

Take an OTC painkiller and you have got reefer madness.

Eat a bagel and you are booting smack.

Use some nasal spray and you are a crank addict.

In these days of full employment a potential employee
will tell you to take your stinky $8/hr no benefits job and
place it where the sun doesnít shine.

The biggest scam is that an alcoholic that can stay dry
for a day will pass with flying colors. But since this screwed up society condones the usage of that poison and
the evil federal and state government condones its usage to keep the tax money flowing. They don't want to and/or can't turn the tap off.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

It would sure narrow down the list of candidates who apply to work for us. I'd say about 90% would fail. I have some loyal hard working smart employees who smoke weed on their own time. They know if they get caught at work that they'll be out of a job. However, anyone driving the CDL truck has to be clean at all times.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow paranoia is rampant in the LAND OF THE FREE, don't you guys have a constitution or something? I thought facism had been defeated! Unless your employee is drunk/high on the job whats the big deal? It is no wonder you guys are having a hard time finding help. What an employee does on his/her own time is their business,as long as they are doing their job. I pay them for the hours they work, the other hours of the day belong to the employee. The workplace should be enjoyable, how will that happen with your prison like atmosphere? As a final thought, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.