Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2001, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually...

I think were just having a little fun here doing some nation bashing.. running a little smack if you will. Kind of a top this type thing.. no negativity intended on my part, just stating facts LOL

No personal attacks, just some economic mud slinging, "my crime rate is lower than your crime rate" thing, mutiple denials from both sides about the drug problems in the respective countries,crack backs on the countries social service systems, yada, yada, yada. Got to act like business people 8 hours a day, you got to have a little fun
afterwards.

http://www.landscapebusinesshelp.com

Landscape Contractor
Landscape Specialty Services
Forest Grove, OR
Old 03-15-2001, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hear alot of fugitives hide out in Canada, supposedly Whitey Bulger, and some of Osama Bin Laden's people are there too.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drug testing is a rather controversial issue in the United States and any other democracy, or elitist democracy as I like to say. However its unfortunate that the U.S. is a nation chock full of drunks, drugs are a problem too, but alcohol in my opinion is much worse.
Old 03-17-2001, 12:43 PM
Banned

I have nothing to say.

[Edited by lawnboy11 on 03-17-2001 at 01:09 PM]
Old 03-17-2001, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree on the fact that alcohol is a far worse drug as far as negative social impact than marijuana. That is why I do neither. The drug test post about "your fired" may be funny but it is not what a potential customer looking here on this site to find out what snowplowers are all about would want to see. This, while we treat it as our little group, is none the less a public forum and we all have a public personna to keep up.
Okay I'm back off the soapbox.

Bruce
Old 03-17-2001, 01:13 PM
Banned

Plowjockey- I agree with what you said about it being funny and a public forum. It was funny, but I didn't think of it in that respect. Good point, still funny though! And if they can't laugh then they're stupid anyway (more comedy). Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-17-2001, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LawnboyII

I was not knocking you. I well understood your comment being that I grew up in the 60's and 70's and the humor was largely that direction. (did you ever read a "Mad" magazine?) The point I was trying to make was about public perception and I realize that you are fully aware of this. This thread has raised some serious points on both directions and IT SEEMS TO HAVE BECOME A MONSTER sorry didn't mean to yell.
OK going back to my drug of choice which is coffee.
Bruce
Old 03-17-2001, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Drug testing here in Vancouver? You wouldn't find any staff. Pot is everywhere here, and I do mean everywhere. It's hard enough getting people to show up to work let alone find people who don't smoke weed. I didn't grow up here (grew up in Ontario), and I don't touch the stuff, but I'd rather have a guy who smokes once in a while on his own time than a guy who routinely shows up hungover. As for the other drugs, that's another story.
Doug
Old 03-17-2001, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Why you test

We recently had an employee jack knife his trailer on the interstate and total the trailer and the skid steer. When we finally got it resolved with the insurance company regarding the cost and damages I wrote the employee his counseling statement and had him in for a little chat. On his own admission the pot word came out. Now I have additional problems to resolve with my insurance company and that employee is in court shortly with us regarding his actions that night. So we are now testing our employees and all new hires. My clients will live with the fact that we are back logged on landscaping but not lethargic workers and mistakes employees make from using drugs/alcohol. In this day and age the damage from a joint or alcohol is to great a risk. The man who wants to smoke a joint or use alcohol un wisely has the option to work some place else. Just like we have the option not to hire or expose are self to their actions from delay reaction time based on what they did before they came to work.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Member

No way! should drug testing be allowed it's a bad road to go down, what's next dna testing to see if the employee matches a specific job or has a future disability down the road that would cost the company(just wait it will come too)! Government and business needs to stay out of peoples lives, do they need to know what prescription medicine someone is taking? Now that this is becoming acceptable to the many who are taking it lightly it will only lead to more invasion of privacy and big brother knowing everything about everyone. Even here in Canada it is starting and also dna databanking of pretty much any criminal charge out there. Wrong wrong wrong way to go. And the thing is no one seems to much give a damn or see down the road.