Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2005, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

dead battery

Hey gang , Got a problem with a briggs 18hp model 422707 rider. It drains the battery while in use, or left over night. A new battery was put on and lasted no time.Always got to boost it to get it going. How do I check the charging coil on this? Or is there something else I should be looking for, like a ground.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5627
Hey gang , Got a problem with a briggs 18hp model 422707 rider. It drains the battery while in use, or left over night. A new battery was put on and lasted no time.Always got to boost it to get it going. How do I check the charging coil on this? Or is there something else I should be looking for, like a ground.
It's always good to check all grounds and electrical connections, Given the fact the battery is dead after sitting over nite is a indication of a possible short in the electrical system somewhere. Fully recharge the battery and let stand disconnected from the unit for about a hour, Doing this will allow the surface charge to dissipate for a more accurate test.
First ; Connect the negitive cable up and using a multimeter or test light connect the neg. test lead to the pos. battery post and the pos. test lead to the pos. battery cable, You should have no reading or light on. If you do go to the double wire plug on the engine for the stator and unplug it, If the reading or light drops the stator is shorted out and needs replacing.
If you still get a reading or light stays on after unpluging the stator the short is in the tractor it's self and will need a visual inspection of the wire harness for any bare wires grounding out.
If you have no reading or light when hooked between the pos. post and cable, Reconnect the pos. cable and put your meter leads on the battery and start the engine and run at full throttle, The charging system should be putting out between 13.6 and 14.5 volts , If not unplug the stator again and check for battery voltage on the harness plug, If you have voltage there the stator is most likely bad.
Check this out and post your findings.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-27-2005, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

May not be charging system!

You are not telling the whole story ? How old is it and you might think about fully charging it and do a load test on it and check the cells! The battery may be bad or a dead cell ! Had problem with Wal-mart Never-Start ! Seems the vibration of the mower lossens the cell plates in it ! Here in Florida the heat rises hell with them ! If you have a Wally-world (Wal-mart) near you they can load test it for you or Auto Parts Store ! Just a thought as may not be the charging system !
Old 08-27-2005, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by careco
You are not telling the whole story ? How old is it and you might think about fully charging it and do a load test on it and check the cells! The battery may be bad or a dead cell ! Had problem with Wal-mart Never-Start ! Seems the vibration of the mower lossens the cell plates in it ! Here in Florida the heat rises hell with them ! If you have a Wally-world (Wal-mart) near you they can load test it for you or Auto Parts Store ! Just a thought as may not be the charging system !
Thats a good thought, I read the story as the new battery was installed and was dead again the next day !

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Not Charging!

I got new one from wal=mart and had the same problem ! Just bad apple in the bunch! Took it back had them do a load test and showed it to be bad ! Some time you never know ;-)
Hit and miss process of elimination!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for the delay guys, been out of town . The guy didn't bother to bring the rider by after I gave him a couple of suggestions to what might be wrong. Apparently he found a chafed wire that must of been causing the problem.Thanks for your help, no money made this time, ah but thats part of the game.