Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2005, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

36" walk behind

I really need something quicker than my current setup for gated backyards. I use a Honda 21". I looked online at the Better mowers and they look good and seem reasonable. What do you think about hydro walkbehinds? What fits through standard wooden privacy fences and chain link fences? I sure don't want to buy one online and find out that it won't fit. I don't use a walk mower but around 2 hours per week, but the speed is killing my productivity. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Get a used 36" walk behind. Or if you can afford it, get a new 36" WB. Should fit through the gates. If your not sure, go measure them to see what will fit. Good Luck.

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 08-27-2005, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

my 42 inch deck has fit through every gate ive been through but your best to measure. The 42 clears with about an inch on both sides
Old 08-27-2005, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My 36" Exmark has been awesome, but its a stupid belt driven. If you can afford a Turf Tracer HP 36" go with that! Hydro's well worth it!!!!!!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 08-27-2005, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

A mower with a 36 in deck fits through most gates.(most)!!! They also have mowers with a 32 inch deck.The main thing you wanna do is when you go on an estimate make sure you take your tape measure and check the opening at the gate.if i cant get my 36 in mower through, i tell them i will use my push mower but it will cost them more.Time is money.i have one yard ,regular cutting price $28,but because i couldnt get my 36" lesco through the gate,i told them $40 to cut it.And they went for it. By the way,my 21 inch push mower has the power drive which makes it a little easier.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger
My 36" Exmark has been awesome, but its a stupid belt driven. If you can afford a Turf Tracer HP 36" go with that! Hydro's well worth it!!!!!!
Just sold my 36" Metro this month, well worth after 3 years of use, got money back little bit over half of old MSRP, very happy happy with that.
I hear you on "stupid" belt driven forever never get belt walk again, it is so much easier to change and air-bleed hydro system than doing and regreasing those archaic peerless tranny.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out one of these http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/ I have been using this machine for two years and never evn put a 21 on my trailer anymore. good luck
Old 08-28-2005, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

go hydro, very well worth the extra money. i would recommend looking at Gravely, they have solid walkbehinds, fast ground speeds, great cut.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I went with a 34" simplicity Pacer 15hp Briggs Intek unit, it was a tad over $2k, but had hydro which i wanted. bad thing is that is is a open differential so wheras the belt drives you just hold one and it turns around for you, mine you actually have to "muscle" it a little and turn it around, the more muscle the faster it turns, it is easy going under trees etc though b/c you can hold the one lever forward and walk on the side of it, its very precise too since its dual control hydro with your thumbs. I like it, has plenty of power for that size deck, eats through most anything, also has battery, electric start, a height of cut deck adjustment similar to Simplicity Tractor lawnmowers, just spin it around like an olden days type non electric drill and lowers or raises the deck up, its a full roller stripe deck and full float, it doesnt have the front caster wheels attached to the deck like other commercial units, its good for smaller areas and ease of use. Any other walk behinds i get now would be either another one of these or a 48" 18hp kohler or something from Exmark or Ferris, the ZTR will always be for bigger areas the little stuff wont fit into.

WWW.simplicitymfg.com most places have these for around $2,099 or less.