Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

how many strikes?

i did him a few yrs back. he was pleased. said i was the best service he ever had. we had a "disagreement", i dumped him. a couple yrs went by. he called and begged me to come back. i said ok. he got out of line with me on the phone, i dumped him again. that's 2 occurences. he is now calling me on a daily basis, apologizing, pleading, begging me to come back. i don't return his calls. at this point, would you even consider taking him back? money is not an issue, he pays whatever i say, never even blinks at the price, and he pays in advance. would you?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

so bob. what are the "disagreements" about? if he's paying what you want when you want it shouldnt be to bad but if he's a major PITA its not worth any $ to keep putting up with him.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Considering your description of pay... certainly, take him back knowing that he will rant at some point and then just hang up on him and continue service as usual.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It has been my experience that once a pita, always a pita. At least in MOST cases this is true, surely there ARE exceptions to the rule but you gotta figure the odds are against you so IF you take someone back then you're playing with one Ace SHORT of a winning hand... You MIGHT come out ok but most of the time, you will not.

It isn't a matter of number of chances here with this situation: ONCE a pita, always a pita - Thus no matter HOW many chances you give, the results will likely be the same in the end thus it is best to cut the number of chances to zero as soon as you realize what is going on.

I had a similar situation with a guy I dropped, called me like a year later and I couldn't remember exactly what was SO bad about him and since he was all nice I figured oh what the heck...

And yes you know it, FIRST time out went ok but the second time it was right back to the old song and dance that brought back vivid and detailed memories of ALL the reasons why I had stopped servicing this guy in the first place.

I learned at this point in time, once you drop someone you don't go back. I felt a bit stupid at the time but then I chalked it up to experience and how can you learn if you don't experience it?

Far as the money, it is a shame we don't find too many like that and the way you describe the payment agreement is certainly enough reason to give it the following consideration:
IF you can in any way TOLERATE the guy's nonsense then do it, considering the way he pays makes up for a fair percent of bs.
However, the guy I dropped was one of my biggest dollar spenders as well and ALWAYS paid but in the end I could NOT tolerate the bs, no matter how much I reasoned it out, I just couldn't do it.
Thus, you decide but remember it is NOT a matter of whether it will happen again as I can fairly guarantee it WILL happen again, it is only a matter of whether you can tolerate it or not.

Last edited by topsites; 08-29-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

no....................
Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
i did him a few yrs back. he was pleased. said i was the best service he ever had. we had a "disagreement", i dumped him. a couple yrs went by. he called and begged me to come back. i said ok. he got out of line with me on the phone, i dumped him again. that's 2 occurences. he is now calling me on a daily basis, apologizing, pleading, begging me to come back. i don't return his calls. at this point, would you even consider taking him back? money is not an issue, he pays whatever i say, never even blinks at the price, and he pays in advance. would you?
If you take him back again, your a glutton for punishment.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see the problem if he is paying. What do you argue about with him?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's no way to treat your father.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Three swings of the troll poll,and your out.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Im confused, is this a jilted lover or a lawn customer!!???