Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2005, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Boom mounted mowers

I own a 70 acer farm I really want to buy a boom mounted mower. Not sure if I want a flail or a rotary. Can you make money working for others trimming hil sides, ditches, right aways, fence lines and tree lines. Any information would be great. We are currently buy a tractor and a loader so we can sell mulch. Just thought I could get a toy to keep my property looking better and make a couple bucks to pay for the equipment.

Details make money!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You want flail...too many hidden obstacles in rarely maintained areas. Certainly there is work to be had, just probably not steady and probably not enough to justify the purchase as a business means. An interesting (re)turn of events here in the West has some sizeable goat herds doing this very job for hire. In sensitive watersheds, steep embankments etc. where man hours with a brushcutter would be intense and pesticides are not an option, they bring in the goats and let them chew down everything in site. Apparantly goats crush weed seeds through their normal chewing action and they're not passed through now fertilized..lol..booms cannot do nearly as much mowing due to deck size as a daring operator on a rider, so keep this is mind if thinking about it from a biz aspect.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

look at getting a belly mount instead of a 3 point hitch type.the belly mounts tend to be made of better more commercial grade material.we had a 3 point hitch type and it was always breaking.if you look at the state mowers they are always belly mount.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know that our state and municipalities issue lots of roadside mowing contracts. Not sure what yours does but worth checking into.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

We had a rear mount Alamo. Alamo is on of the biggest manes and they are very well made. We used it for a contract that we had and when the contract ended we sold it ( did not want to do that type of work anymore). The rear mount type lets you use your tractor for other things, because you can take it off, but you are always lookin behind the operators seat, and at the end of the day you neck has had enough. We had a 5' flail head on ours and it did a great job on grass and small (1") trees, but we had a HDgrass60 head and that is what we wanted. Alamo makes, I think, three different kinds of flail heads, from light duty grass to a tree cutter flail head.