Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2001, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys,
I'm just getting started and without going into all the details would like to hear some advice from pros. I've already got the lawyer, CPA, Banker, and equipment dealer on the move. All I need now is enough customers for me to quit my current job and go full time.. All comments welcome.

Thanks, Chris.....

Chris
CP Mayhew, Inc.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

line up the accounts before you quit and possibly do it part time for a year or two to get yourself established well that way when you do do it full time you will have a better chance at success
Old 03-13-2001, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris,

Sounds like you've got a good start. I'll amend what OM had to say. I don't know what your situation is, if you have a spouse that's got a solid income, etc....

If you have a great safety net, jump in with both feet. If you don't, go slow/part-time.

There are a million ways to try to attract customers, depending on what kind of area you live in, what kind of business you want to attract, on and on. Just make sure that the customers you handle now all LOVE what you do. Build a solid base of customers who will serve as references for you.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a great safety net, jump in with both feet. If you don't, go slow/part-time.

as both guys said, go part time for now and next year think about full time if you can grow that fast. get estibished, make a name for yourself, and make sure the land you are on today is solid for tommorrow. every year i see guys come and go, for many reasons, you don't want to be one of those guys.
Old 03-14-2001, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

joshua,
It's a great industry that has made millionaires of many that have paid attention to the "business" side of the workload.

Good luck. This is a great place to avoid the pitfalls that come with the "trial and error" method of starting up. Most of the posters here have made mistakes and can assist you (and others) in avoiding the same potholes.
Old 03-14-2001, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful, if your job has hours in which you can cut on the side try that first, also I am not sure but if you plan on cutting only, I would really look into the landscape side of the buisness. We are starting to find this side of buisness a little better.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update on "Just Getting Started"

Well guys, Just wanted to let anybody out there know where I'm at on the start up biz.
To date I have incorporated, gotten my CPA on board, prepared my business plan with financial projections,(boy was that a shot in the dark), but my banker likes it!
I am in the process now of getting all the finances finalized, i.e., checking acct.,etc..
I pick up my equipment next Friday. And I'm getting a few jobs ready. I was a little afraid to jump the gun on job estimates until the company was formed and legal. Insurance is done and the one thing that I need advice on now is whether I should go with Quick Books or Quick Books Pro or something else???? Any help would be appreciated...

Now I'm just chomping at the bitt...

CP

Chris
CP Mayhew, Inc.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you've built a solid foundation ....your CPA should be Quick Books Pro friendly if not .....well..if your planing on doing it ?? or click on the Lawn Monkey or Clip Banner's ....lots of other software out that will help

Our CPA does all our books, check, depoists, payroll & tax needs best $500 I spend each year ...all on Quick Books Pro ....I have a copy here and get a back-up file each Monday to check over everything

Anyways ...good luck ....get out the marketing & advo stuff

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 03-25-2001, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go partime, then if you like the business enough, and make the money you want with it, go full time. Also don't incur huge debts, and make sure you buy high quality equipment.
Old 03-26-2001, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

It's not what you make- it's what you keep. Be thrifty. Also lets assume (for easy math) that your net profit is 10%. If you do a job for $100 you get to keep $10. Increase the price of that job by 10% to $110 and you have just doubled your net income. In other words don't be afraid to bid high on jobs. So what if you miss a few. You will have the extra money to do the ones you get correctly and build a reputation. Also, when you do mess up and price a job too cheaply and it gets accepted- treat it like all your other jobs. Do it right and don't comlain. Move on to the next one and try again.