Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2005, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oil Change Sequence for Bottom-Up Filters

I have a 15hp Kohler with the oil filter screwed upside down (open end down). When I change the filter, excess used oil drains from the filter when I remove it, making a mess.

Is there a sequence about draining oil from the crankcase and unscrewing the filter that will allow the used oil to drain from the filter, through the crankcase and out the drain hole?

I have done it one time - a time when only a few drops escaped the used filter. But, I'm not sure what I did, and cannot find how to do it again.

I know, it is a small thing, but one of those tasks that just shouldn't be so messy!

Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2005, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oil change sequence for bottom up filters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
I have a 15hp Kohler with the oil filter screwed upside down (open end down). When I change the filter, excess used oil drains from the filter when I remove it, making a mess.

Is there a sequence about draining oil from the crankcase and unscrewing the filter that will allow the used oil to drain from the filter, through the crankcase and out the drain hole?

I have done it one time - a time when only a few drops escaped the used filter. But, I'm not sure what I did, and cannot find how to do it again.

I know, it is a small thing, but one of those tasks that just shouldn't be so messy!

Any ideas?
Try pulling the plug on the engine and letting it drain fully, hopefully the filter will drain thru the engine. Tilting the machine to help this might work, also. Let us know. Some one that I know punches a small hole in the top of the filter to compensate for the vacuum. Let it drain overnight, also. That may help a little.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a pump to suck the oil out and use this device to clean up around the filter when you loosen it up. We find that sucking the oil out is faster and can be done in the field.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a car with an upside down throw away filter. What I do is pull the oil drain plug and while that is draining I take a punch and hammer and punch a hole in the top center of the filter. I then give it about fifteen minutes or more and then screw off the filter. It still spills a little but not so much that I can't clean it up with one good swipe of a rag.

I don't know if it will work for you but you might give it a shot.

Good luck,
Doc
Old 09-04-2005, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger

Any ideas?
A no mess answer.
Just below the filter is a 1/8" pipe plug, Remove it and go to a hardware store and pick up a 1/8" close nipple and coupling. Screw them into the pan and re-install the plug in the coupling. Next oil change take a empty quart oil container and cut a hole in the side and position it under the plug then remove. When done remove the cap off the oil container and pour the old oil into your waist container.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Personally, I like the hammer and hole punch idea, same thing I was thinking before I read the post.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
Personally, I like the hammer and hole punch idea, same thing I was thinking before I read the post.
Everybody has their own way of doing things, But thats why Kohler put that drain plug there.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by restrorob
Everybody has their own way of doing things, But thats why Kohler put that drain plug there.
I have seen a lot of engines with an oil pressure switch in that hole you are talking about. I do both my self. I remove the 1/8" NPT plug below the filter and the main oil drain and punch a air hole in the filter. If there is an oil pressure switch mounted in the 1/8" NPT I have a special I can remove it with if I wanted to but most of the time I do not bother with removing the oil pressure switch if it is used that model.
Attached Images

Last edited by fixer67; 09-04-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the input. Restrorob: I think you mean to use an empty bottle, positioned in a horizontal fashion beneath the drain hole from the nipple/coupling. I checked and the blade engagement rods and levers are in the way, so no room to position the modified bottle. That is a good idea -- a mini-oil change tray for collecting the used oil.

I will try the "hole in the top" idea next time I change the filter. I did the task yesterday (why the subject was fresh on my mind), so it will be four weeks until the next filter change.