Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2001, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

What type of 12 v spreader attached to a ztr do you use? I got a dixie chopper that I want to attached a spreader to so I dont have to walk so much. How much do they usually cost?
Is it easy to get the spread down so there is no stripes?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2001, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are handy with a welder you can get one for 300-400.00. Northern tool co. and other mail order catalogs have them. I personally got a Spyker 220 lb capacity today. It cost 800.00 but you have to remember that this model comes with a variable reostat, I dont think the others do.This lets you control the spread pattern from 4-25' so you have no waste.
Old 03-14-2001, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

ocutter how much does the spyker spreader hold? Ia t easy to put on and take off? Do you kinda guess when you space yourself between spreads?
Old 03-14-2001, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Joshua- the spyker was 220 lb capacity. Others like JRCO are 120 lb cap. at best. However there are the ones in Northern for 220 lb too. If you do a search at the top of the page and put "spreader" in the search, youll find more info there.

Patterns are tricky. If you have an 8' pattern I space the tracks 6' apart since the far reaches of the fertilizer will not be as concentrated as they are in the middle. Overlap a little.

Attaching this thing is something I wouldnt want to do. However taking off the unit looks like a 2-5 min job. A few bolts and unsnap the wire connectors.

[Edited by Ocutter on 03-15-2001 at 12:53 AM]
Old 03-15-2001, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Spyker

I also use the big spyker electric. I had a friend fabricate a mount that uses 2 Category 1 hitch pins and one bolt. Disconnects in 3 minutes. Recommend if you purchase a spyker make sure your mount is not shaky or it will cause open/close slot to vibrate shut. That is the reason I added the bolt. It has not happened since. I try to throw almost back to outermost tire track from previous pass and have seen zero overlap or striping so far.. Make sure to mount Rheostat control where it is easily reachable while driving. I often adjust on the fly for tight areas or to throw off slopes I cant travel. In my opinion, the Rheostat and the Spyker in general is worth every penny I paid. Later!
Old 03-15-2001, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a spyker. You will have it after you go thru 3 of the earthway/jrco/whatever. It is tough and easy to adjust. I have 2 of the 220's!
Old 03-16-2001, 04:16 PM
Millenium Member

Finally got a pic of my Lesco 12v spreader:

A few more photos: http://www.unionturf.com/equipment.htm
Old 03-17-2001, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

kirby does the lesco spreader work good for you
Old 03-18-2001, 02:05 AM
Millenium Member

Works great, just have to make sure you are going walking speed. I still need to put something behind the spreader to keep it from throwing fert on me. Mounted the power switch on the control console in the front, hopefully it will not get broke there.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:43 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
Works great, just have to make sure you are going walking speed. I still need to put something behind the spreader to keep it from throwing fert on me. Mounted the power switch on the control console in the front, hopefully it will not get broke there.
Two (or is it too or to) tips for Kirby.

Just use a heavy piece of plastic like that is used in the rear windows of ragtops for a material guard (Jrcos have this as standard equipment but cost $600).

Run the rope from the manual shut off thru a block
(sailboat hardware)to make it easier to operate.