Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2005, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Web site help.

Can someone inform me why there are so many places to register a domain name and so many places that will host it. Are there differences between them and how do I find the best for each?
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-10-2005, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

www.tera-byte.com is what i use for a few sites. I cant complain about them one bit. There support is awesome.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

for just the same reason there are so many places to buy a cup of coffee. Everyone has coffee, but each one is a little different. As far as hosting, i use Dreamhost.com. Awesome, easy to use, reliable hosting. let me know if you use them, and i'll give you my email for a referral.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had www.dreamhost.com for like 2 years and I love it. They'll handle hosting and registration for you. (cause I'm lazy and wanted them to be at the same place)
Old 09-26-2005, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I won't sugarcoat you around: Much like lawncare, Anybody can re-sell domain registrations AND hosting, so that's the real reason they're a dime a dozen and most are worth about as much in reliability, performance, and technical knowledge (i.e.: MOST don't know WTF they're doing).

Please be careful whom you choose, I can recommend a few I either know personally OR can at least highly recommend without further doubt:
http://wtv-zone.com/ <- A small-time server hosted by a crew out of PA, likely can recommend for newcomers but ask Larry (wtv's admin).
http://yahoo.com/ <- Number one.
http://hypergurl.com/ <- Aussie couple has slightly higher rates in exchange for true one-on-one support, good for new and Tanya's very smart.
http://ev1servers.net/ <- My host thou they specialize in whole machines (dedicated servers) and better for experienced folk (they don't like holding hands, so to speak).

That, or anyone here has their site hosted with someone and says they're happy with it, that is likely an excellent choice
Best of luck.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Domain Names

godaddy.com.

They seem to be the biggest one out there that can offer the most. They were just running a special on domain names. Plus they always seem to be running special all of the time.

Just make sure you turn off the yearly automatic renewal...Unless you want it on.