Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2005, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Website Question?

I already have a basic website that I designed with Frontpage some time ago and I found it pretty easy to lay everything out. I even through in a little Flash to make it stand out a bit more but my question has nothing to do that website but rather another website that I need to develop that I think is going to be alot trickier to design.

I need to develop a website that has a searchable database, logins and passwords for hundreds of users. It will also need to have the ability for the user to be able to upload information into the database, or possibly upload the information onto a form that I can load into the database.

Is all this still easily accomplished in Frontpage or should I be looking at a different piece of software. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Macromedia Dreamweaver MX does what you want but what you are asking for is not easy to do from scratch. You may want to look around at the language of PHP. Theres lots of sites with free programs that you can tweak to your needs.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells
I already have a basic website that I designed with Frontpage some time ago and I found it pretty easy to lay everything out. I even through in a little Flash to make it stand out a bit more but my question has nothing to do that website but rather another website that I need to develop that I think is going to be alot trickier to design.

I need to develop a website that has a searchable database, logins and passwords for hundreds of users. It will also need to have the ability for the user to be able to upload information into the database, or possibly upload the information onto a form that I can load into the database.

Is all this still easily accomplished in Frontpage or should I be looking at a different piece of software. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
FP can do this, but it's going to work off a simple text file or an access DB. You have get most of this done by php and my sql. You have to check with your hosting company to find out if they give you mysql. I have built many websites but when it comes to DB and user management you will be better off hiring someone. Here is a guy I use and he is cheap. http://www.scriptmagix.com/
I have worked in the past with FP and just left the program as 1) there are tons of hacks for it. 2) it is limited to what it can do 3)it adds so much to you site that is just junk and will hurt your search engine rankings, also that flash will kill you on search engines SE have a hard time reading it.
But everything you want can be done in FP if you are still wanting to use the software. I just found that the only thing that stopped me from going over to DW was the learning curve but a few days of toughing it out made it well worth it.

Last edited by juggernaut; 09-14-2005 at 12:20 PM.