Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-25-2000, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My wife cut a new customers property today, it took her 1 1/2 hrs, she drove slow to make it look good the first time. The bad news is the guy was having a nap while she cut the lawn and missed the whole thing. His wife said it took him two days with his 11hp Roper and push mower to do it. I think he was kind of mad he didn't get "his" money's worth.
Old 04-26-2000, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think going to sleep and waking up to see your lawn has been cut is getting your moneys worth<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-26-2000, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Member

if they paid to get the lawn cut and you cut it what did it matter how long it took. these people are whiners and i would place them on probation if they keep whining fire them get clients that appreciate you ,makes life much more fun.and yes there out there.
Old 04-26-2000, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have several &quot;little old ladies&quot; that I cut for mostly as a courtesy to them. after the first cut this year, one of them remarked in her usual semi-snipid way: &quot;well! that sure didn't take you long!&quot;<p>my usual reply was sufficient: &quot;no ma'am. time is money and I'm running out of time&quot; as I held my hand out waiting for the check!<p>GEO
Old 04-26-2000, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I always tell those that want to whine, piss, and moan about the length of time it takes us that there is over $30,000.00 on my trailer and it's there so I don't have to take a long time in any one persons yard. I let them know real quick that I've made the investment in fast equipment so I can do the volume of work necessary to pay for it, furthermore, if they looked out their window they would see that we are bustin' our ass to get the job done.<p>Homer
Old 04-27-2000, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tell these types to take a flying leap.<br>ASK THEM THIS-Why do you have a car???????<br>If you want to get from point &quot;A&quot; to point &quot;B&quot; why don't you just walk? Or ride a bike? Why do you have to get there in 2-3 minutes? You could take the bus, you know.<br>Remind them the same reason they bought a car is the same reason you use comm. equipment-TO GET THE JOB DONE IN THE MOST EFFICIENT WAY POSSIBLE. Ask them if cars will do the job faster than a bicycle.<br>Also ask them if they have a microwave- why not use the stove? Why you in such a hurry you have to nuke it? <br>Why does GM have to waste all that $$ on new computers every 2 yrs.? What's wrong with the old ones? They work. Why do they automate everything? What they had before worked fine.<br>Why do you take your photos to the one hour developing? Can't you wait 2-4 days like in old times?<br>I throw it right back at 'em. Had enough of the feeble-minded public trying to tell me how to run a biz, whle they work 9-5 for someone else all their life.<p><p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p><br>
Old 04-27-2000, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

smitty--C'MON! no need to drop the old bats and whiners (within reason)! it only takes a few more minutes to put up with their crap and you (ME!) are ON YOUR WAY! but I surely agree that it can test your patience.<p>have a good day.<p>GEO
Old 04-28-2000, 01:48 AM

Hello:<p>I had the same problem, when I bought my first big Hydro Mower.<p>People went Bezerk, because it didn't take no time to cut. Then later when I got new Truck, LOL I thought I was going to have to get rid of it.<p>One of the sad things is that now the amount of Cryers, Whinners, Moners & Complainers are growing at a astronomical rate. I figure at least 10% t0 20% per year. Yes folks didn't act like this 15 years ago.<p>No matter what you do now they are going to Boof about it, It's real popular right now & it's not going to go away. People right now really live beyond their means. So now they gripe about everything no matter what.<p>I just charge them more & it still don't do any good. LOL<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 04-29-2000, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive noticed thee same thing this year. Ive been telling them efficency and quality is what I am striving for. Wouldnt you rather me get here, get done, and get out, then to spend half the day with them having to listen to listen to them noisy mowers and such. They have whined a little, but they have all wanted me back!
Old 04-30-2000, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

my customers are very happy to see me growing my business. I have gotten new lawns cause of my mower, i know it, it impresses people. Its only a toro 36 inch WB. but when you see a 17 year old behind it, people like seeing someone my age working at all. And working like i do, i have never heard, &quot;oh you should use a small mower, and work for the money&quot; i have heard &quot;that mower is too big for my lawn&quot; they are normally right. A lawn has to be at least a certain size for my mower to make it look good, anything smaller, and i spend too much time turning around and worrying about scalping, it will mow those lawns, its just not efficent.