Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Tip Of The Day - 9/14/05 - Client Gifts

It's always nice when you receive a gift. It is even more enjoyable when you receive an unexpected gift. Competition is everywhere. There is someone out there right now who wants your customers. It is your job to keep them happy. Show your clients you appreciate them. It does not have to be anything expensive or elaborate - maybe a free mowing, or a gift certificate, or a pumpkin, with a small note saying "thanks". Simple gestures like this go a long way.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's amazing what something as simple as Christmas cards can do as well.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yea, how does this sound, "dear mr xxxstien, from the bottom of my heart, i want to thank you for ALLOWING ME to be your slave, to get skin cancer, to inhale all the crap you have on your lawn, for not being able to raise my fees for the last 9 years, for patiently waiting for your late payments, for having your fat azz wife ask me to do things that we never agreed on, and finally, for losing you, to the guy, that quoted you $2 cheaper. to show my appreciation, mr. xxxstien.......i bought you a shovel, for a gift "
Old 09-14-2005, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO!!

I was thinking about sending some osmacote(sp) samples
Old 09-14-2005, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
yea, how does this sound, "dear mr xxxstien, from the bottom of my heart, i want to thank you for ALLOWING ME to be your slave, to get skin cancer, to inhale all the crap you have on your lawn, for not being able to raise my fees for the last 9 years, for patiently waiting for your late payments, for having your fat azz wife ask me to do things that we never agreed on, and finally, for losing you, to the guy, that quoted you $2 cheaper. to show my appreciation, mr. xxxstien.......i bought you a shovel, for a gift "

I asked about this very thing some time ago and got a similiar response from you. I give gifts to customers and have had awesome feedback from it. whats a stinkin $10.00 pocket knife from a customer who pays me $80,000.00 per year? or a basket of golf balls-$100.00- for a customer who contantlly ask me to do more work and never complains about the price. Bobby, Maybe if you...oh nevermind
Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

they should be giving me gifts. you people think backwards. it IS THEM who should show thanks, and apreciation. let me think about this......the average lawn punk here claims to be working at a 7% profit margin. my lawns average around 2k per year each. at your 7% profit margin you are clearing about $150 per property. i have 80 clients, i buy them each a $10 gift, it costs me $800. this means i need to service 6 properties, ALL SEASON, just to pay for the gifts. no thanks. i like it better this way: i provide the service, you pay the bill, don't give me no lip, no late payments, and no gifts, and we won't have a problem. btw, did i mention next season, i'll have fresh produce for sale?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would'nt give gifts out to those little customers either. However I don't care what you say, if you spend a little on your better customers you will often find it improves customer relations, and you may be suprised at how agreeable they will be to doing more work for them. Besides If you stop in to give them something special its an excellent time to suggest other work that you think they could benefit from. Hey, either you get the point or you don't, It dosen't matter to me. But, the "you should be kissing my butt" montra has never gotten me a thing. whereas treating your customer like you would like to be treated does.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

do you have any service providers that send you a gift? the electric company? the paperboy? the cable company? the plumber? ANYBODY? does anyone send you a gift?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
do you have any service providers that send you a gift? the electric company? the paperboy? the cable company? the plumber? ANYBODY? does anyone send you a gift?
well some of them send me little calenders and fridge magnets with theyre name on them lol.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:21 AM

how many times does your plumber or electrician service your home/property? and many plumbers, electricians, etc.... charge the same amount for their service (not always, but often)... as a regular service provider (maybe as many as 25-50 times in a year) it is necessary that you show your appreciation - if not they can look at johhnygedd down the street who can do the same job for less money and no shovel...if you make your clients your "friends" they will be less inclined to look elsewhere

then again, the comic relief you provide bobby probably does deserve a gift from your clients - you are definitely the exception to the rule
Closed Thread