Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:39 PM

bobby...

1. You have no clue what I do/did for a living in relation to this industry. I can assure you I have far more hours behind equipment than you do - and I am still involved in the day to day operation of a company

2. You do not run a legitimate business if you net 75%

3. Of all the stories you have told on this site, you are trying to claim no one has ever ended your service - no one?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mr addams (you may adress me as bobbyalmighty). i am willing to bet my curly hair collection, that you DO NOT cut grass for A LIVING. i assure you that my company is 100% legitimate. and, yes, on occasion people have cancelled, but for MY reasons, such as- i refuse to budge when there is a discrepancy, etc. BUT, even then, 99.99% of the time, they come whimpering back. remember now, when i joined this site, i had never heard of most of the stuff the pros here were doing. my competitors, still don't. i don't know of one single competitor that knows how to fert properly, knows how important aeration is (most, have never even used a core aerator) , knows how to identify/prevent/treat certain weeds and fungus. they STILL are all bagging thier clippings, they never heard of double blades, or striping rollers. these guys, are in the stone age. combine this, with thier lack of education, 22 missing teeth, and inability to speak in complete sentences, and compared to them, i seem like a harvard grad, who could win a mr america contest, and can charm the pants off a nunn. remember kid, i don't have to outrun the bear, i only, have to outrun, YOU. do you know what this means?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
mr addams remember kid, i don't have to outrun the bear, i only, have to outrun, YOU. do you know what this means?

I'm going to take a stab at what "this" means...............

It means that Mr. Adams will be creating wealth for himself long after you have been thrown in the can for tax evasion or shovel wielding.................whichever comes first.
The rest of us that intend to eat filets and lobster for dinner on a regular basis will treat our accounts with some respect and dignity.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

wrong, try again
Old 09-15-2005, 06:21 PM

makes no sense in this discussion.... your bear metaphor

unless the 'bear" is the IRS, which in that case, you can outrun me, and when the "bear" catches me, I'll show him my tax forms and then he lets go of me, even more ticked off and hungry....

I have read your posts claiming you have employees or at least an employee and when you buy equipment, etc... and gasoline alone.... so if you think for a second that you are clearing 75% of your gross receipts and your operation is 100% legitimate you are nuts, or just confused
Old 09-15-2005, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the bear, was in reference to my statement that very few people cancel thier service with me, and when they do, they end up comming back. you see, to "outrun the bear" simply means, you don't have to be THE BEST at what you do, just BETTER than the people around you. follow me? ok, the short version: 2 men are fishing in the woods. while walking back to camp, a bear smells the fish, and starts chasing the men. they start to run, and one man stops to put on his sneakers. the other man says, "you fool, you can't outrun a bear, no matter if u r wearing boots, or sneakers." the other man replies, "i don't have to outrun the bear, i only have to outrun, you." are you following me? this was in reference only to the part about my customer retention, i am simply more qualified than 99% of my competitors. as far as the irs, i am 100% legit. do the numbers sean, the numbers don't lie, my costs before payroll are $10,000 per year. 80 lawns at an average of $1500 each= $120,000. add a few small landscapes, trimming jobs/cleanups.....work it from there. btw, my gas bill to mow 80 lawns is $65 INCLUDING mowers/wackers/edgers/blowers/trucks
Old 09-15-2005, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sean your making one big mistake with Booby. The guy mows a few yards with his 21". He collects welfare to pay the rent and food. The mowing money is beer money and to keep his mullet shaped up. He doesn't claim mowing money on taxes, has no insurance and that is how he clears 75%.

Just look at him as the good humor clown of the site and you will understand his posts better.

Bill
Old 09-15-2005, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
the bear, was in reference to my statement that very few people cancel thier service with me, and when they do, they end up comming back. you see, to "outrun the bear" simply means, you don't have to be THE BEST at what you do, just BETTER than the people around you. follow me? ok, the short version: 2 men are fishing in the woods. while walking back to camp, a bear smells the fish, and starts chasing the men. they start to run, and one man stops to put on his sneakers. the other man says, "you fool, you can't outrun a bear, no matter if u r wearing boots, or sneakers." the other man replies, "i don't have to outrun the bear, i only have to outrun, you." are you following me? this was in reference only to the part about my customer retention, i am simply more qualified than 99% of my competitors. as far as the irs, i am 100% legit. do the numbers sean, the numbers don't lie, my costs before payroll are $10,000 per year. 80 lawns at an average of $1500 each= $120,000. add a few small landscapes, trimming jobs/cleanups.....work it from there. btw, my gas bill to mow 80 lawns is $65 INCLUDING mowers/wackers/edgers/blowers/trucks
So with gas at about $3 a gallon you mow 80 lawns on about 20-22 gallons of gas? or about 1/4 of a gallon of gas per lawn? How large are these lawns...200sq ft?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:09 PM

bobby - I understand what the bear story means - just thought at that point you were referring to you netting 75%

and as far as that bear is concerned - going back to the tip of the day - why not show thanks to your clients now, so that if someone does pop up thats "faster" than you, there will be no concern

and as far as your math....I will still have to assume you are joking about "netting" 75%...

self-employment tax alone is 12.4% for your first $85k and medicare is 2.9% on all of your gross earnings....then you have to pay regular income tax (since you are a sole proprietor) - vehicle/liability/workers comp insurance alone after paying SE tax would probably take you over 25% expense
Old 09-15-2005, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well suffice it to say I subscribe to a lot of sayings oldtimers use as they seem to hold their merit through the years, no matter what.

"you'll catch MORE flies with honey than with vinegar"
Closed Thread