Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-15-2005, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

How do I... Change Hydro Fluid - Older Scag 52"

Hi All,
I've only dealt with my belt drive till I picked an older SCAG hydro 52" last year and have used it about a dozen times and need to get some maintainance going on it. I need to change the Hydro Fluid but I don't really know how. I'm sure I could figure it out but I want someone to give me the skinny on it, Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 kind of thing.
Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with. It's an old guy and a little rough lookin but it'll huff and puff and cut your house down.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiambat
Hi All,
I've only dealt with my belt drive till I picked an older SCAG hydro 52" last year and have used it about a dozen times and need to get some maintainance going on it. I need to change the Hydro Fluid but I don't really know how. I'm sure I could figure it out but I want someone to give me the skinny on it, Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 kind of thing.
Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with. It's an old guy and a little rough lookin but it'll huff and puff and cut your house down.

I have never owned Scag but only eXmark. You need to check with dealer for the correct hydro oil, once you know the procedure is simple.
1. twist off hydro filter and let drain
2. FILL new hydro filter with hydro oil till brimming, COMPLETELY full, no air bubble left, lightly rub filter rubber seal with oil
3. clean out dirt or grime at filter socket
4. twist in your new filter slowly, work the thread till lightly tight
5. refill resevoir hydro tank till brimming at baffle, close cap
6. loosen hydro filter lightly till some oil start seeping out, then retighten again to the fit. (do this to let air bubble out)
7. refill reservoir tank again till brimming at baffle.
8. jack up rear mower till drive tires are free, crank engine and start running forward, backward, bleed all air out from system. You will see tiny air bubbles/oil seeping from cap of reservoir tank, let this run for good 10-15 min till air bubble gone.
9. take her out and spin for 5-10 min, till no more oil seepage.

You should see the fresh and quick response of hydro once new filter in, I have experienced huge diff once new filter in. The responsiveness is what I mean. This is eXmark TTHP procedure, hope it helps. (BDP 10, twin hydro)
Old 09-15-2005, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks MTR, that's what I was looking for.

Pat G.