Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2005, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki 17 hp losing power

My 17 hp v twin kawasaki is losing power for no apparent reason. It will be running fine, then 'pull down' as if it is under an extra load, then may or may not power back up on its own. My mechanic checked the compression (110 psi) and said that its fine. The engine ran fine for him but he thought that it might be a dried out diaphram in the fuel pump. Does this sound possible? Can you oil a diaphram to recondition it untill I can replace the pump next week? Any other thoughts...? Thanks, Joe
Old 09-16-2005, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see how a diaphragm can dry out with fuel going through it all the time, But they do get hard from being heated and cooled from engine temps. over a period of time.
I don't believe oiling would help, Have you tried to put the choke on when it starts to die down ? This would tell you if it is fuel related.You could have a blade spindle or idler pulley heating up and trying to lock down. That may be why it didn't act up for your mechanic I'm sure he didn't go out and mow a acre with it, I have seen this many times so it's just something else to check into.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Restrorob, When it powers down, I have turned the blades by hand and they seem to turn as before - but I will check into that this week end...
Old 10-02-2005, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

same problem

i have the same problem,,posted a question about it too,,did you ever find out what it was,,mine seems to act up after running for a while,,sopunds like the question i wqrote and its driving me up a wall,,i have fh500v 17 hp kaw too,,let me know please,,,thanks
Old 10-02-2005, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

An update on the problem... Another mechanic suggested that it was an electrical problem- a coil maynot be working (this engine has one for each cylinder). I pluged a tester into the spark plug wire to see how well it fired. I found that one of the two had no fire at all. I replaced the dead coil and was back to full power. 2 weeks of diagnosis, 20 minutes of repair...Joe
Old 10-02-2005, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark with a 15 hp Kawi on it and it sounds to me like its doing the same thing as yours. It will sputter out and sometimes pick back up and sometimes not pick back up. It's very frustrating, I have changed all of the filters and plugs, blew out the lines, cleaned out the carb and still no good. I have had nothing but bad luck from the start with this Exmark and it doesn't help that my dealer went to prison for embezzling money and the next closest dealer is 45 miles out. The other day I loaded it up and took it to the dealer 45 miles out, when I loaded the mower onto the trailer it was acting up big time. I got to the dealer and he ran it for ten minutes and acted fine. He sent me home saying they can't work on it without it acting up because they wouldn't know where to start. I don't know what to do because its back to its old games.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I had the same problem, it wouldn't act up for the mechanic. I finally found a more experienced mechanic who had seen it before. He told me to get a spark plug tester ($7.00) and plug it into the spark plug wire to check the strength of the 'fire'. Start the engine and engage the blades, then observe the brightness of the light. Keep watching to see if the glow lessens as the engine warms up, if it does you've found your bad coil, if not then check the other plug. As it turned out the first plug was fine and the second was completely dead. Once you find the problem it is simple to replace the coil.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having the same exact problem. It'll run fine for a while, but once I have the blades on, and am moving around and turning for a while (Mower under load)..... It bogs down and almost stalls. Then I can Choke it and get it going for a while, but then it starts to do a Surging, throttling up and down. I can see all of the parts of the Carb moving and working fine. then, I'll let it sit for a while and let it surge and choke it a few times when it stalls.... Then it works fine for about 5 min.... Then same problem, surging and stalling.
I have replaced All Air Filters, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, 2 Ignition Coils, Plugs, Oil change & Filter, cleaned out the carb very well (Without dismantling it), and even ran a tank of gas with "Sea Foam" in it (Mower runs fine sitting on my trailer). Now, I'm all out of ideas. I don't think that the "Charging Coil" (under flywheel) is bad. I am assuming for now that it is a Carb/Fuel Problem, and am not sure how to troubleshoot this problem. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd just like to exhaust all possible ideas before taking it in to be fixed.
- Thx
48" Bunton BHT 14Kaw
Kaw FH500V S02
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dismantal the carb. and clean the 'inside', Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports and passages then re-assemble.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, I'd like to thank you for your fast reply.I thought that it might be the Carb, but wasn't quite sure. I have done everything else that I could think of and it still runs bad.... It MUST be the Carb. I appreciate the help, but I think i'm gonna have to take it into the dealer. I'm really good at fixing things, but I don't trust myself to Dismantle the Carb and actually get it put back together correctly. There are so many minor adjustments to be made, and I don't have the personal knowledge about Carbs to make sure that I don't end ruining the machine in the long run. It kinda sux that I've spent money trying to narrow down the problem, and still have to resort to take it into the shop and pay OUTRAGOUS Labor.... Especially when I'M willing to do the labor myself. I just don't think I trust myself to tackle the Carb, it seems really detailed and Involved. Thanks again Rob, I really appreciate your help.