Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
Yea, this guy is making a killing. He should make a decent profit since they are his jobs. The bottom line is, he might not want you if you raise to much, especially if you are doing other jobs cheaper then you want to charge him. If you go up on him then you need to go up even further on your own clientèle.

I charge $60/hr on the low end with a $60 minimum even if it's one little bush. Normally I charge by the job which brings in a lot more. Like yesterday he did a $300 job that took 3 hours (he did others, that's just one example). I have done as good as $120/hr. Customers can be overwhelmed at the thought of doing hedge trimming. This is why it is best to charge by the job. If the shrubs/bushes look all grown together and a complete mess you can normally go higher because the job looks a lot harder then it really is. We don't market this service outside our mowing customers, but occasionally get a neighbor or two. I guess if you are going for quantity then you will have to offer a lower price.

As for as branching out, that is up to you. It really depends on how much time you have to offer other services. As for mowing, I worked 8 hours today by myself and grossed $575. Aerations would be a great service to think about.

Is this guy sending you a 1099 at the end of the year?
Sixty dollars and hour!! LOL That is what the going rate is here for ALL DAY of shrub trimming! Thats why I dont do it anymore. I wished I could get 30 a hour here but client would have to have medical help with these prices!
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityLawnCare4u
Sixty dollars and hour!! LOL That is what the going rate is here for ALL DAY of shrub trimming! Thats why I dont do it anymore. I wished I could get 30 a hour here but client would have to have medical help with these prices!
LOL I was stuck at 30-45 for a long time myself but then I don't do trimming but every so often so it took longer to figure it out... Basically, to get $60/hour what I ended up doing is getting more work done in less time so in the end I might only get 30 or 40 dollars for a row of hedges JUST like the next guy but then instead of it taking an hour if I can get it all done in 30-40 minutes, that's $60/hour...
What I did is the old sacrifice of quality for speed and in the end I was really surprised how fast I can go without much loss of quality at all. Every once in a blue moon I might take off a bit too much or the odd corner gets sheared but I feel that it happened just as much before and in both cases its rare...
Old 09-18-2005, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when I was doing landscape maint. I was doing it by the job, , making $40 to over a $100 an hour
Old 09-18-2005, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=I make only $10 to $15 per house[/QUOTE]

Not to be rude but thats totally assanine. Your times gotta be worth way more than that
Old 09-19-2005, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never done a residential for less than $100 for trimming shrubs in about a hour. i am talking about shrubs in front and back of the house.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Uh, I think I may have phrased things incorrectly. I meant that I get $10 to $15 per house. (Mostly $15) We're talking about a gated community with houses piled on top of each other. When the houses are lined up like ducks in a row, often I can get 4 or 5 done in an hour. But realistically I do about 2 an hour reliably. So technically I'm making $30 / hour.

From my prespective, the pay is sufficient--especially since I've been in this business only since June. What worries me is relying on someone else bill my customers. It feels like the guy is the owner of the route, not me.

Also what worries me is that I really am not allowed to compete with the lawn guys in the community, that is our informal agreement. This forces me to over-specialize in hedge trimming. I'm not sure if this is a wise business approach.

Honestly, I'm just trying to decide on a long term direction to take. For now the stuff I'm doing pays the bills. Now I have to figure out how to prosper!
Old 09-19-2005, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=YodaMouse]From my prespective, the pay is sufficient--especially since I've been in this business only since June. What worries me is relying on someone else bill my customers. It feels like the guy is the owner of the route, not me.QUOTE]

They are not your customers, they are his customers and he is only sub contracting you to perform the work. There isn't anything unusual about this.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you travel to jersey?

I'll pay you $15/hr to work for me...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, YodaMouse, by now you know what's going on with this guy and how much money he is making off of you, so I won't comment on any of that. By now, though, you're probably thinking, "what should I do now?" Here is what I am thinking. You said that this guy does not want to do hedge trimming any more. Call him out. Explain to him that you know what's going on and offer to buy him out in some way. Ask him to tell you how much he is charging, and to show you his invoices, then make him an offer, either by continuing to sub for a FAIR rate(in other words, more favorable to YOU than to HIM, since he isn't doing any of the work anyway), or to buy out the accounts COMPLETELY in the form of contracts. Just my thoughts on the matter , sound like a good idea, guys? Comments please.....
Old 09-19-2005, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And also, regarding your informal agreement to not compete with the other LCOs, why would you agree to that? I guess I can sort of understand, because I used to live in a gated community, and wouldn't have wanted to step on any toes in a small community where everyone knows everyone etc. That being said, what other services are offered by these other LCOs? Do something they don't do. For example: instead of focusing on hedge trimming alone, why not think about including hedge trimming as part of a GARDENING service. (planting flowers, mulching, maintaining beds and foliage, etc.) Maybe after keeping their property in such immaculate condition, they would want you to go ahead and mow their grass while you are at it. You could sell service packages for maitinence, and price per job for individual items like flowers and mulch, etc. In a well to do private community (in Florida, where things grow basically all year), this might be a profitable business. And technically you wouldn't be competing with the lawn guys, right? Just an idea! Good luck in any case!