Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2005, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBrother
Ok, YodaMouse, by now you know what's going on with this guy and how much money he is making off of you, so I won't comment on any of that. By now, though, you're probably thinking, "what should I do now?" Here is what I am thinking. You said that this guy does not want to do hedge trimming any more. Call him out. Explain to him that you know what's going on and offer to buy him out in some way. Ask him to tell you how much he is charging, and to show you his invoices, then make him an offer, either by continuing to sub for a FAIR rate(in other words, more favorable to YOU than to HIM, since he isn't doing any of the work anyway), or to buy out the accounts COMPLETELY in the form of contracts. Just my thoughts on the matter , sound like a good idea, guys? Comments please.....
I bet this guy wants to keep his hedge trimming, but just see's an opportunity to sub the work out and still make money. Calling him out might just get him back to doing them himself, or hiring someone else. The bottom line is, don't worry about what the other guy is making. Worry about what you need to make it worth your while and leave it at that. I wouldn't be acting like this guy owes you anything because he doesn't.

Some of you guys act like you never heard of sub contracting. I think $30/hr is fair considering you do not have to do anything but supply tools and labor. Once you are in the business for awhile you will learn that this guy isn't just sitting back doing nothing.

I do think you need to go up to at least $45/hr for customers you have to maintain on your own. This extra $15 will cover cost to obtain job, and office work etc. that this other guy is providing for you now.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice so far... It's given me prespective. I've decided to stick with the guy for now. However while I'm doing my route with him I'm going to dedicate one day a week scouting new accounts. I figure I should get somewhere eventually... This way I don't risk my steady income and have time to build up a better revenue source.

On a side note, our friendly weather system--hurricane Rita--has blessed me with 3 hours of work in the soaking rain. While cursing my choice of occupation I wondered what lawn service guys do up in places like Montana and Vermont. I mean damn, it must get twenty below in the winters. Plus you've got to deal with the freezing rain and sleet in the fall.

But then again, I guess you don't cut much grass with a foot of snow on your lawn...
Old 09-21-2005, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You do 2 homes , about , in one hour sometimes more .
The actual trimming is about 10% of the time and clean up is the other 90% .
I hated clean up , I had hispanics doing mine
Old 09-27-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I've followed people's advice and have started charging people much higher prices. And you know what? They're paying it! What I used to charge $15 for I now charge about $45. (The guy who's giving me the people on his route is still getting them at $15 a pop, but I'm going to phase him out as soon as I have a steady income.) People aren't even blinking when I hand them the invoice... Isn't it cool?

I'm really amazed at how well I've done in the short time I've been in this business. I've pulled in $700 last week and I'm not even really working full time. I've tried so many businesses in the past--and failed so miserably--that I'm still holding my breath, waiting for disaster to strike. (CIA operatives are loading up their silenced MP5's, standing outside my door and laughing hysterically into their comm sets.) It feels weird to be making money without going insane with worry.

I really have to thank everyone on this site, you've helped me immensely. I would still be working for $10 per hour if I hadn't talked to you guys.

Cheers!

Andy
Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you drive to Atlanta? I can give you all the $15 shrub trimming jobs you can handle! : )

You will grow old very fast if all you do all day is trim shrubs.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Bruce,

No problem, as long as the trimming jobs are all in the same general location and they don't involve weeding or more than 20 minutes of work.

I literally go down a block and hit four or five houses in a row. Spruce creek, the gated community I do jobs in, has house piled on top of each other.

But yeah, if I'm making $45 to $60 an hour, I'll pack up tonight and come do trimming for you. I'm 27 years old and have plenty of energy!!!

Cheers,

Andy