Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2001, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Costs $125 a year here in FL, i thought about joining but seems all you get is a ribbon cutting ceremony with a city official and a free Breakfast one saturday a month. I sleep in on sat, and work out of my house, not for me. I did however get the urgent message, and returned the call after I got home in the middle of summer, after getting ripped off by someone, so I dont think they will be calling again lol.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Save your money

Throw your employees a pre-season party you will get more bang for your buck. The BBB is a private business that quite a few people believe is a government institution. That have no legal power over businesses and their arbitration policies in my opinion are a joke.

Treat you employees to a pre-season bash and you will reap a greater return.

Mike
Old 03-21-2001, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I was a member awhile back but thought the dues increases up to about $300.00, were to much. There is also no rule saying a mad customer has to go thru them for arbitration, they can still sue you, even if you are a BBB member. I think it is a good organization but there fees are to high for the benefit recieved in my book. I think SIMA would be a much better investment.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. As with others, I have had bad experiences with their 'arbitration', and what they consider to be a resolution to the problem (The shop gave me back my VCR, in pieces, but did give me my money back as well. Problem solved, right?) I also feel that you do not have to belong to an organization in order to provide high quality and professional service (which I have yet to find from any BBB member). I will actually steer away from someone who promotes themselves as a BBB member.

Alan
Old 03-21-2001, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, 13 negative comments on BBB membership so far. I think I'll politely decline their "invitation". I greatly appreciate all the comments shared. This re-enforces my gut feeling about the BBB.

Old 03-24-2001, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

G&S PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPING SERVICE is a proud member of the better business bureau,along with membership in the Ohio landscapers association,We are a professional customer service, landscaping company,Membership in these organasations helps us permote a sound company that will be here for our customers for a long time,Both of these organasations require a list of refercences of your past custoners, and are looking at good business practices,Since joining these organasations we have seen a large number of new upper scale professionals looking for our service,we use these logos on all estimates ,billing,business cards-on our trucks and trailers.All i can say is these organasations will benifit your company, and project to potentional customers a positive image of your company.It works for us,and if your are in the cleveland area please dont use the BBB, OR OLA that more business for us.
Old 03-25-2001, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Comedian George Carlin said, "Who do you complain to, if the BBB rips you off"!

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 03-31-2001, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BBB

HEY MR PROFESSIONAL G&S,

WHAT IS AN ORGANASATION?

Organization. Maybe the BBB is an organization for ignorants and charlatans, too?

KB
Old 04-01-2001, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you Albemarl lawn -for pointing out a spelling mistake,I will use spell check from now on. And have a great day!
Old 04-01-2001, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I got a call from them last year and knew immediately it was a scam. Telling me how good my complaint record was and that by joining them I could keep it that way, give me a break.
If you really want to join a local association, look into your local chamber of Commerce. They have decent rates on Health insurance and local business people in your area.
The BBB is a bunch of Scumbags