Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2005, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Stay with my 1/2 ton or trade for a 3/4 ton?

Hey guys, haven't been on here in a while, thought I was going to stay in school but the money and love for landscaping drew me to start my own business. Here's my question, I have an '02 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L in it. I have the tow package that came stock on it, but people have been telling me that it is not good to tow everyday with my 1500 because of many factors. The trans is the number one factor because Dodge is not known for their tranny's. Should I trade my Dodge 1500 for a 2500 or stick with the 1500 and take my chances?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-28-2005, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's the same transmission until you step up to a Cummins.( even that one is a variation of the one you have now)

The 545RFE trans. behind the 4.7 or 5.7 has been a proven performer if you want to move up a year.

For now, look for an axillary cooler that is in front of the radiator and condenser on your truck. If it doesn't have one, add one. Then just keep the fluid and filter changed per the "severe" maintenance schedule.

A possible trans. overhaul will still be cheaper than switching trucks.
Keep an eye on the rear axle oil as well.

If you are putting a lot of weight on the truck (in the bed or heavy tongue trailer) you might want to look into a 2500
Old 09-28-2005, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks General Landscaping for replying to my thread. My Dodge thankfully came with the tow package and has the extra cooler and condenser. I was mainly worried about the transmission because they aren't cheap to fix. I will do the transmission overhaul before I start full time next season. I am starting out with a 6 x 12 trailer and just putting my Tiger Cub, Trimmers, and Blower on it. As far as in the bed, mulch and top soil mostly. Thanks for replying before I went out and bought a new truck.
Rick
Old 09-28-2005, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Obviously you don't want to stress any vehicle on a daily basis, but many of the smaller landscape trailers don't come any where close to stressing out the full size trucks you see hauling them.

Your truck should not even notice that little trailer with that stuff on it. You'd be at just a fraction of your tow capacity. Compare the tow capacity and the weight of the trailer. You're probably not even at a third of your capacity. You don't need 10,000lbs of tow capacity to tow 1,500lbs of trailer.

Use what you have and buy what you need when you really need it. This philosphy can save you a lot of money over time...

Lots of guys entering the workforce go out and buy the biggest baddest truck they can afford, even if they're just hauling a toolbelt. With gas prices the way they are, I suspect common sense may start to catch up with those who think bigger is always better...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 chevey colorado,off road suspention,the large inline 5 engine,crew cab,4000 lbs towe rating. with what I have do you think this truck will do for now? haulmark utility trailer 6x10 one 21" push and 1 walker 48" zt ,blower, edger, sting trimmer ,gas cans tools .thanks bill
Old 09-28-2005, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We started off with a 1500 (although GMC) w/5.3L V8. Had stock towing package & off-road package. Pulled a single axle trailer (14' bed length). EWe had two 48" SCAG hydro WB's as well as the other miscellaneous stuff. Also used it for plowing with a 7.5' western pro plow. Had that for two years. Although the second year we purchased a 3/4HD b/c we bought a 6T dump trailer so it got used a little less. Traded it in ~3 years into the business for an upgrade to another 3/4T.

Bottom line, if the truck can do everything you are asking for it (legally) than keep it. There is no need to upgrade for the 'just to have it' attitude. Take a look at your business plan. In it you might want to have a goal of purchasing a 3/4T a few years down the road. In the plan jot down how you plan on saving or reaching that goal.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the feedback

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I'm happy I listened to the forum before going out and buying something I can't afford. This site just saved me a lot of money I didn't have to spend.
Rick