Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2005, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

.95 Echo crossfire trimmer line

Is there a better line out there?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

echo line

i prefer gator line, echo line is junk, just my opinion.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i buy the craphole line from wal-mart.... 4 times the string for the same price. it may not last aslong but i'm sure its not a 4:1 ratio for the premium string.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used to run echo crossfire in my bumps, but got tired of having it bog down in the grass, so I switched to .130 shindaiwa quiettwist. I run it in my bump heads, and it wears forever. a bit hard to get through the holes while winding, but other than that, it is great. never had it weld once. you could probably go with .105 and be ok too. unfortinatly, my dealer doesn't stock it, or I would use .105

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

gator square magnum by oregon chain...

I tried echo crossfire and did not like it at all...a true monster line trimmer has to have a line that will hold up and gator with the aramid material is STRONG and abrasion resistant...echo is good for for wacker from wally world but that is it...Stihl's commercial green round is pretty good...it does NO good to have a powerful trimmer with huge torque when the line is junk...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I used Crossfire for a while several years ago. I actually prefer the Gator Magnum line though. It's all personal preference.

About a year ago one of my customers, who lives on a corner lot, and kind of on a small hill, gave me an almost-full 5lb spool of .095" Crossfire. He had found it in his yard a few days before. Someone must have come down the hill, rounded the corner and the Echo line just rolled off. At least that's what we figure must have happened.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As I've said over and over, I like the Sufix Mega Twist line best.
I'd bet the Shindawia and Tanaka twisted lines are good too.

I'm currently testing another line nobody runs here.
Once I'm satisfied with my field use of it I'll post a review.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 09-28-2005, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

and what line is that, envy?

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I needed some line the other day, didn't realize I was almost out of my Echo line.

I ran into a mower shop and the only thing they had on a spool of any size was some Husqavarna line, the stuff that says it actually has Titanium in it.

Anyways, I've been running it about a week now and actually lasts longer than the Echo stuff. However, it doesn't seem to cut as well. It is however quieter than the Echo.

Guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.

I do alot of chainlink fencing in the schools and parks that I maintain, so it's good there.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hate, and have always hated smooth round line. it just doesn't seem to slice through the grass like square or twisted line does. the tanaka line if very wear resistant, even more so than the shindaiwa, and I would use it if 1. it was easier to get. and 2. if it was a different color than black.