Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2005, 02:45 PM
dcplace2004 dcplace2004 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: spokane, wa
Posts: 423
Stihls view on what OCTANE to use in the 4-mix and 2-cycle engines...

I called Stihl and they said that minimum 89 octane but 93 would be the better choice...just like the other LCO and Stihl said, the better the grade, the less impurities, prevention of pre-detonation, less heat, less wear and tear on engine...although there is extra cost for 93 octane, the benefits outweigh the cost, and I stand corrected from past posts...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2005, 02:57 PM
John Gamba's Avatar
John Gamba John Gamba is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: ct
Posts: 10,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplace2004
I called Stihl and they said that minimum 89 octane but 93 would be the better choice...just like the other LCO and Stihl said, the better the grade, the less impurities, prevention of pre-detonation, less heat, less wear and tear on engine...although there is extra cost for 93 octane, the benefits outweigh the cost, and I stand corrected from past posts...

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2005, 03:12 PM
geogunn's Avatar
geogunn geogunn is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: TN
Posts: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplace2004
...the better the grade, the less impurities....
I would like an explanation of the "better the grade, the less impurities".

does a higher octane rating equal a "better grade" of gasoline?

and how does a better grade of gasoline, which is higher octane by this definition, equal less impurities?

is sthil saying they put dirt, crud, cr_ap or something else in the lower grades you wont get with a "higher" grade?

their explanation doesn't sound right to me on the impurities thing.

GEO
__________________
My new ’06 business plan: MOW-TRIM-BLOW and GO...and...NO…I WILL NOT CLEAR YOUR BRUSH ROW!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2005, 03:18 PM
grass_cuttin_fool's Avatar
grass_cuttin_fool grass_cuttin_fool is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,505
I wonder if the higher the grade the less alcohol in the gas? Seems I remember some people having issues with the oil not mixing with the winter formula of gas.I asked stihl in an email and the guy acted like it was a deep dark secret and no explanation of why 89 octane was needed other than that is what is stated in the manual
__________________
To my dad, Thanx Pops you are my dad, my brother , and my best friend



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplace2004
I called Stihl and they said that minimum 89 octane but 93 would be the better choice...just like the other LCO and Stihl said, the better the grade, the less impurities, prevention of pre-detonation, less heat, less wear and tear on engine...although there is extra cost for 93 octane, the benefits outweigh the cost, and I stand corrected from past posts...
I'm not buying most of this because it is pure bunk. The only reason to use 89 octane is for detonation. Did you know that using too high a octane rating can also be harmful? Higher octane gas is harder to burn, it resists preignition because of this. If you use too high an octane gas it can lead to carbon deposits and increased emissions because all of the fuel will not burn. High octane gas needs an appropriately high compression to burn properly, just like deisel fuel.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
nmurph nmurph is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: ga
Posts: 668
octane and impurities have nothing to do with each other. a higher octane rating does not necessarily equate to more power or a more pure fuel. octane is an additive that increases the detonation point of fuel. it does not increase the caloric value, which is where "power" comes from. that said, a higher octane of fuel can allow the spark to be advanced, or the compression rate to be raised, resulting in an increased efficiency of the burning of the fuel and a corresponding increase in power. if an engine is optimized for a certain grade of fuel, increasing the octane will not increase the power unless the engine has a management system that is designed to adjust for these new parameters. conditions such as engine load, temperature, engine condition, ambient temperature, etc. influence detonation. i don't know what specific conditions small engines are designed for, but i think you could safely assume they are built to endure some harsh conditions and i would think that small engines are optimized for those conditions, with the grade of fuel they recommend.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 PM
bill w bill w is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Va.
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
I'm not buying most of this because it is pure bunk. The only reason to use 89 octane is for detonation. Did you know that using too high a octane rating can also be harmful? Higher octane gas is harder to burn, it resists preignition because of this. If you use too high an octane gas it can lead to carbon deposits and increased emissions because all of the fuel will not burn. High octane gas needs an appropriately high compression to burn properly, just like deisel fuel.

No, it is not harder to burn, it is merely more stable (like dynamite is more stable than nitro glycerine). It has a spark plug so it doesn't need higher compression to burn. Now, if the engine had higher compression, it might need higher octane.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2005, 05:24 PM
dcplace2004 dcplace2004 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: spokane, wa
Posts: 423
Just going off what was explained to me...

but that is not in etched in stone, obviously...I would stick to 89 then...middle of the road and on the safer side...I would not go 87 though...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill w
No, it is not harder to burn, it is merely more stable (like dynamite is more stable than nitro glycerine). It has a spark plug so it doesn't need higher compression to burn. Now, if the engine had higher compression, it might need higher octane.
Truth be known nitro is the active ingrediant in dynamite. I stand by my statements.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-2005, 06:13 PM
bill w bill w is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Va.
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Truth be known nitro is the active ingrediant in dynamite.
That's why I used it as an example.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.10527 seconds with 7 queries