Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2005, 04:42 PM

Tip Of The Day - 9/30/05 - Flexible

In this day and age success often depends on one's ability to be able to adapt and change when necessary. This requires flexibility. If you are "dead-set" in your ways and refuse to try something new, the times will pass you by and so will your competition. I heard on the radio this morning (can't remember who said it) that an inventor in the late 1800's or early 1900's was giving up on inventing things because in his words "everything that can be created or invented already has been...". Guess he was wrong. Listen to what others have to say, no matter how far-fetched it may seem... Good 'ol Bill Gates was told that his idea of everyone in the country someday having a PC in their home was "absurd".
Old 09-30-2005, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Who's Bill Gates?

Old 09-30-2005, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When you work for other companies you have to be flexible and learn their ways or else you risk being fired, and when youíve worked for a number of companies you tend to pick up on various ways of being more efficient and of doing things differently. I found this to be true, and after I began working for myself I took the best of these tricks that I learned from each place and incorporated them into my own operation.

However, now having been on my own for some time, Iím beginning to feel as if teaching this old dog new tricks is getting a bit tougher. Perhaps the one thing that robs us of being flexible is our over complacency with our business and with what weíre currently doing. Well, you know how it isÖ Put blinders on a horse and heíll never know that heís getting passed by.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

and whats a PC??
Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
and whats a PC??
Pacific Coast 800 cc mc made by Honda :-) years ago.Looked like a scooter.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams
In this day and age success often depends on one's ability to be able to adapt and change when necessary. This requires flexibility. If you are "dead-set" in your ways and refuse to try something new, the times will pass you by and so will your competition. I heard on the radio this morning (can't remember who said it) that an inventor in the late 1800's or early 1900's was giving up on inventing things because in his words "everything that can be created or invented already has been...". Guess he was wrong. Listen to what others have to say, no matter how far-fetched it may seem... Good 'ol Bill Gates was told that his idea of everyone in the country someday having a PC in their home was "absurd".
Well... if Plan A doesn't work then go to Plan B. If I get to Plan Z then I can always start over with Plan AA.

Also, if something is working right with a particular maufacturer's part/equipment don't be afraid to say something. Sometimes they are aware of the problem and have made appropriate changes. Sometimes you might just be the first one to spot a problem and have helped them nip it in the bud. I've changed products based on how someone reacts to my problems. I feel that a company that isn't flexible and wants my input is a company I don't want to deal with.