Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2005, 04:43 PM
bobcatnj bobcatnj is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: flemington,NJ
Posts: 686
sod install price????

have a customer thats needs 900 sqft of sod installed. hes goin to do the prep work with his old lawn and is going to rake and rototill the old yard. hes want to just to install sod. the price of the sod is 17 cents/sqft.what would you charge to install?? do you fertilizer before the install of the sod then lay the sod over the top or do you fertilizer after???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
RedWingsDet's Avatar
RedWingsDet RedWingsDet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,562
wow thats easy for you. It shouldnt take you longer than 30min MAX to put that down once you get the sod to the site. Figure sod is 153, but I'd buy an extra 100sq feet just incase. So figure $200 for sod. then charge him $300 labor. So total of $500.... One question though, does he know what your paying for the sod? because if he does know what your paying, you cant charge that much most likely. Again shouldnt take you more than 30min, and if it does, something is wrong. i'd schedule a job like that for a saturday morning or after you get done working on the weekday if I were you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2005, 06:11 PM
eruuska's Avatar
eruuska eruuska is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rensselaer, IN
Posts: 456
I buy sod for $1.26/yard, and I install it for $4.00/yard, as long as the prep work is minimal. But Premier is right, this is quick, easy money. Make sure the customer knows to water, water, and then water some more.

I've done the fertilizer both before and after installation, don't see a whole lot of difference. With lotsa water, if you fert after installation, it'll end up underneath pretty soon anyway.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Turfdude's Avatar
Turfdude Turfdude is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,900
Dude, 900 sq ft of sod solo in 30 mins, What r u on?? C'mon be real. Even if the pallets are spotted, you will still have a 30X30 are (if its square). Thats about 100 rolls or 3 1/3 rolls a minute non-stop from pile in place & installed for 30 mins non-stop. What r u a tri-athelete?? What about final raking, liming, fertilizing & rolling?? You better give the man a much more realistic time. 30 mins if man on loader moving pallet while 1 guy installs yes, otherwise, no!
__________________
Bob
If you fail to plan ..... you plan to fail.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 PM
RedWingsDet's Avatar
RedWingsDet RedWingsDet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Detroit
Posts: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdude
Dude, 900 sq ft of sod solo in 30 mins, What r u on?? C'mon be real. Even if the pallets are spotted, you will still have a 30X30 are (if its square). Thats about 100 rolls or 3 1/3 rolls a minute non-stop from pile in place & installed for 30 mins non-stop. What r u a tri-athelete?? What about final raking, liming, fertilizing & rolling?? You better give the man a much more realistic time. 30 mins if man on loader moving pallet while 1 guy installs yes, otherwise, no!

well it is possible for one man, but I did mean with 2 guys at 30 min. but 1 man could still do it in 30min. When im alone I carry 3 at a time. and that only takes like 45seconds to lay, if that long. But I mean 2 men, and if it takes 30min for two men to do that, theres something wrong. When I have a guy with me, it takes about 15min to lay 1 pallet, 700sq feet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
DBL's Avatar
DBL DBL is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chester County, Pa
Posts: 2,220
dont forget to tell this guy to keep this stuff watered then bang him on the head and tell him again so he doesnt forget
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-03-2005, 10:49 PM
surfisher211's Avatar
surfisher211 surfisher211 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jersey
Posts: 142
here is what i would charge sod costs 17cents a sq so i would charge $ 300.00 make money on the sod charge him .30 a sq and order 1000 sq then labor figure on 2 days one day to put it down the next day to cut any beds clean up exc my labor rate is 45 hr im not sure what u charge but at $45 hr and 16 hrs thats $720.00then your fertalizer figure $ 65 a bag installed

if it was me i would charge $1100 good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2005, 10:47 AM
grass-scapes's Avatar
grass-scapes grass-scapes is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Greensboro NC
Posts: 1,554
I just did a sod job that was 865 sq ft. Took me and a helper about 4 hours including prep work. The sod was on a hilly yard, slopes front to street and side to driveway. I charged 1400 bucks to do it. I ordered 2 pallets of sod (just over 1000 sf) and used the balance on some spots in my own yard. Sod here is around .25 cents a sf if you buy it by the pallet like I did.
__________________
By the time you can make ends meet....They move the ends.
_________________________
Grass Scapes
Greensboro NC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2005, 11:05 AM
fga's Avatar
fga fga is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.I., NY
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatnj
have a customer thats needs 900 sqft of sod installed. hes goin to do the prep work with his old lawn and is going to rake and rototill the old yard. hes want to just to install sod. the price of the sod is 17 cents/sqft.what would you charge to install?? do you fertilizer before the install of the sod then lay the sod over the top or do you fertilizer after???
if you get it for .17, then i'd charge 1.17 a squre foot installed, or .10 or .20 to round it off. we make a $1 square foot on top of the cost of the sod.
if you want to ensure you get the job, $900, with a warranty.

and a fee for 'starter fertilizer'.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 AM
fga's Avatar
fga fga is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S.I., NY
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierLandscaping
wow thats easy for you. It shouldnt take you longer than 30min MAX to put that down once you get the sod to the site. Figure sod is 153, but I'd buy an extra 100sq feet just incase. So figure $200 for sod. then charge him $300 labor. So total of $500.... One question though, does he know what your paying for the sod? because if he does know what your paying, you cant charge that much most likely. Again shouldnt take you more than 30min, and if it does, something is wrong. i'd schedule a job like that for a saturday morning or after you get done working on the weekday if I were you.
1/2 hour? 900 sqft. solo? no way dude. cuts alone take time, to get the edges perfect, and mend the seams correctly. why would you kill yourself carrying 3 at a time?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.09662 seconds with 7 queries