Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2006, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Morning Tony. Any more hits on the Business?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, been a pretty constant flow of interest, everyone loves it, just it seems lots like looking without finance.

I guess they see it as free info, so then they can go start their own biz, not knowing this place is so stitched up, they will only get the cheapie ressies, takes lots of time to 'get in' here, and that I'm charging for, been told good will should be free, my reply, in this town, good will is everything, esp. in the stuff I'm doing. not getting clients for free, no no lol. takes a lot to get a good list. I've heard some crap about offers, was offended at 1st, now I get amused, same old kick the tyres stuff, I get a lot of, ''only got 50 clients!'' I reply....yeah, look at the size of them! not talking $40 a mow stuff lol.

in the last few weeks I reckon I've heard of every con in the book, every kick a tyre can get I've heard.

the locals are the worse.

it will most likely sell in winter, southerners come up buying houses, moving up, and those ones will need to get jobs or buy businesses.....not much of either here, so.....that is when the serious interest will start.

that also stuffs up getting into the civil engineers books early, by then they will have enough trucks, paying of a 75k truck while waiting for a spot will be interesting lol.

yeh, banks won't cover anything under 70k, and no older than '90 models....they say older cheaper trucks have no value to them, and are doomed to run without high expensive maintenance, hmmmmmm.

it's all a money game, gotta play it.....or never ever know what could of been.

it will sell.....I'm just anxious to move on now, the place is buzzing with developments, bloody trucks everywhere, and not local.....that worries me!

I had the ad all redone, take a look, better description.

http://www.fcbb.com.au/listings/l0056.html
Old 03-30-2006, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ad looks good mate! I would throw in a trimmer and blower and make it the whole package. Just looks like somethings missing is all.

Heard on TV the other week that Harvey Bay is has the happiest people or something. You should expect more than normal blow-ins this year I reckon! Be good for you selling though I'd imagine!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah thanks mate.

I can only have so much text, this ad is on 2 different seperate broker sites, the idea is just to say enough to get them to enquire, that's why no figures are published or small items, like, there is a complete spray rig 100lt set up, blower, safety stuff, blades, oils, trim line, ya know the usual stuff....

this is supplied after the prospect is screened, then if the broker feels they are fairdinkum they get a spreadsheet of business growth, accountants figures, and complete list of stuff.

I will admit, in the invetory list I did forget about blades and trim line.....ahhh, thats only cheap stuff anyway.

so basically, it is a step by step process they go by, ya can't just email or call and get this info, they screen ya first, tell ya basics verbally, let ya digest that, then if ya come back and have got the right questions, answers are given in detail, then if prospect is very keen, they get all info.

everything except client names, but how much I charge etc.....yes, the addresses leave me poachable, but my clients are loyal......as loyal as a client in this game gets anyway lol.

a guy last week said he knows where my jobs are, what stops him buying a mower and taking my work as he knows my rates per address......I said nothing stopping you, I may lose a few ressies if you undercut me, maybe, but my commercial is secure, and that's all I want anyway.

I then said, in this game it isn't as simple as buying a mower, putting an ad in the paper, sure you get some work, but not the good stuff, this you earn over time, many of us started this way sure, but we didn't make good money for quite awhile.

he was a character that one......I told broker not wasting more time with him, and don't even call him to further the intertest, he was nasty, if they want me to negotiate price, and train them etc, etc, they gotta play nice or no play at all, I don't have to sell, I want to sell, very different, and that's what I tell prospects when the tyre kicking starts, kinda shuts em up.....

quite a few lookers from brissy and gold coast, but getting them to come up to look at the stuff is hard, even though they are moving up here, bad timing lol.

ahhhh, it's a good learning experience, more complex than ya think, more complex than I ever imagined. gotta be so careful what ya say, gotta work with the broker, and not knowing exactly what they said before the meeting leaves ya open, ya basically just gotta answer questions short, to the point, no conversation, be nice but be brief, very basic.....that way no risk of saying anything different than broker.....I made the mistake of being too nice with the nasty guy last week, thought I had it sown, he was so keen.....then he hung back when broker left and wow, into me! we did not part friends lol.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dont give them the address's of your clients! Or do you have to?

What was the nasty guy saying to ya?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

without the addresses there is no proof they exist.....kinda a sacrafice.

the interesting guy...lol....what didn't he say ha ha.

without going into it here, what could you imaging an agro guy who doubted everything, who offered me 40k slandered me, and broker, did not believe i only work 4 days a week, 6 hours max a day, recons without a journal I misrepresenting my business earning the amount we state in such short days, reckons he knows all about what the 'true' value of my stuff is and that is what he thinks the biz is worth, 40k.....the website and advertising he says are worth nothing.....he went on and on, degrading everything, was rediculous.

as soon as he left called broker and said why didn't they stay, they said he was supposed to leave, anyway, they have given him a big talking to.

just picture you selling up, then picture the worse sceptic, aggressive etc....well, prospect number 1 was that guy, wanted to wear me down so I thought he was right as he was very dominant, it didn't work lol.

just a game people play, kick the tyres enough the seller will question the price.

he kept on about my net figure, I said, yeah, that is after paying a bloody house off etc, I asked him to find me a better solo biz that can net that after house expenses......he says I was lieing lol.

not what a prospect should say to me, the guy who would get him going if he bought.

all fun n games!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you and your customers are much better off him not buying!

Stick to your guns. It might take a while to sell, who knows, but least you can look back once its done and say to yaself, "yep, it was worth the wait."

Like selling a house, just have to wait for that one person that WANTS it!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, exactly
Old 04-02-2006, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey stuie,squizzy lets **** stir each other

seriously squizzy how was that cyclone over your way ,were you affected
Old 04-02-2006, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeh be good for a laugh!