Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2000, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

WE have had a lawncare business for 12 years & have mostly dealt with JD.Less than a month ago we purchased a Dixie Chopper,XW2500-60,it has blowed a head gasket already,they fixed that & yesterday it started acting up again ( clicking).My husband took it back to the dealer & they were telling him it probably needed the oil changed & etc... He got HOT!!!! The owner came out & told him he wanted to make him happy.Anyway he came back with a diesel,I forgot which series.The dealer told him to try it this weekend & if he liked it he could work out something with him.My question is : are any of you guys familiar with this mower? We have not even made the first payment on this mower( the 2500)& we are just SICK !! WE have a new contract for 2 huge ballparks & we cannot have much downtime.We have other mowers but was really excited about the chopper.We have never had a diesel,what do you think???<p>----------<br>scaper4u<br>
Old 04-22-2000, 08:49 AM

I would have went with the deisel to begin with. More power and longer lasting and runs cooler.
Old 04-22-2000, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know nothing about Dixie Choppers,but<br>if I had the option,I would have gone the <br>diesel option first too. <br>What diesel do they run?<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-22-2000, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I demo'd the 60&quot; diesel before I bought my 2500 XW,I dont like the diesel at all,it is no good on any incline,its way to rear heavy and bogs down easier than the 25HP command.I dont like the belt setup either,if you are mowing flatland only,it would be OK,but I have some hilly areas that it couldnt climb up without dragging the rear bumper,my 25 Hp goes up them without even getting light in front.Also on the engine,its a 23.8 HP,so it wont have the power in deep grass,but it should outlast 3 Commands easy.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 04-22-2000, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought 2 26hp diesel 72&quot; cut DC's and so far we love them. We cut some ball fields 2 days ago and they performed excellent. We got in a little late and the turf was very high in some areas 7-8&quot; and the choppers cut right thru without a problem. The guy I work with asked me how much he owed me for the ride when we were done with the job, because he had so much fun riding. They have Yanmar diesels engins on them. I paid 11,500 for each one. Good luck with your dealer, you should get your money back if you call Dixie Direct and tell them your problems. Definitly give the diesel a run over the gas. It's worth the extra cash. Put home heating oil in the tanks all season and right there you will make up the difference in diesel and gas engin price! Plus you get a better longer lasting engin.<p><br>Chris
Old 04-22-2000, 10:54 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

First of all, the 25HP Kohler has had head gasket problems since it came out. From talking to other owners, once it's replaced, they haven't had any more problems with the head gasket. This is an engine problem and it has a 2 year warranty. The clicking sounds to me like they have a bit to much oil in it. If you have a Kohler engine just a fuz to full, it makes the oil get bubblely. I think it is because the crank hits it when it's over full and this causes the hydraulic lifters not to pump up right. I have had this happen too and I just let out a bit of oil and the clicking goes away.<p>From what I've heard, the Yanmar diesel engine is supposed to last an average of 12,000 hours. I have one in a JD 430 and it's 10 years old and still runs fine. What year is this diesel Chopper. The 2000's have a solid steel bumper now to hold down the front end better. If the serial number starts with 99, it most likely has the hollow bumper. If it starts with 00, it will have a solid steel bumper. <p>I have had 3 Choppers, but I have never gotten a 25HP Kohler engine. They came out after I bought my machines. The one I run turned the hour meter to 2,700 hours yesterday and it still runs and operates like new. I had to have an intake manifold gasket replaced, because it didn't idle right and it cost me $40. If you aren't completely satisfied with your Chopper and don't get support from your dealer, call the main office and they will do everything possible to make it right for you. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 04-22-2000, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Karl,<br>The chopper has the yanmar diesel engine.And all you other guys,thanks for the input,very interesting.<br>scapes4u
Old 04-22-2000, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yanmar make an excellent diesel.12000 hours<br>is definately not out of the question.Cheap<br>to run too.<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-22-2000, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

what size is the one you are demoing,if seems like the 72 can handle the heavy Yanmar a lot better than the 60&quot; can.In looking at specs I notice a 48&quot;wb for the 72&quot; and a 44&quot; for the 60&quot;.Those 4&quot; and the bigger heavier deck make the 72&quot; a better platform for this motor it seems.My input from `Chris's comment on running home heating oil is,you can do it,but it is illegal,just keep that in mind.Ive used it for years on my private property.You are supposed (haha) to run off-road diesel,fuel tax only,no road tax.Homeheating oil has no tax at all if it was purchased for residential use.It might come up at tax time when you try to claim for fuel useage,you cant claim it,and the IRS will check if your audited,it happened to a friend,they wanted to know where he was buying all his fuel for his business,being he wsasnt claiming any on deductions,then they checked his personal account with the oil company,and his 2000sq ft home burned 2600 gallons that year!Busted,so if you do it,pay COD and John Doe is your name.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 04-22-2000, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

John, thanks for the advice on the fuel. I did not know that, I was informed that it would be legal to run the home heating oil in the Choppers. I will stick with the off-road diesel from here on in. <br>Another note. The Yanmar diesel is said to use 3/4 gallon of fuel per hour. This is a positive selling point with the increasing cost of gas.<p>Chris