Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2005, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Plant Mark Up$

When placing a bid, what kind of a mark up on plantings do you guys factor into the project before all other costs like, labor and machine work? I have been toying with different percentages to test my market and was just curious what you guys use.

Ronnie
Braching Out
Old 10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The qualifying unanswered question is "marked up from what?". I can pay a widely varying price for the same plant depending on where I buy it. If I applied the same markup % for each, the prices would be all over the place.

If I double the price from the region's largets re-wholesaler, I can be reasonably close to what a homeowner can buy it for in a garden center. If I bought from others and doubled, the homeowners would be seeing that they could buy plants for far less than I sell them for. That would cause problems.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

bought whls. sold at 3x retail generally
Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The mark up that I mentioned is taxable price of the plant. It is not the price of the plant installed.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
bought whls. sold at 3x retail generally

Mac, just curious, does this include your labor for installing? I.E. you get woody plant for $20, charge $60 for the plant, does this include all cost associated from beginning to end or is it simply for the plant itself?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to buy from a nursery that had a marked up price already on the tag, but next to the retail price was a bunch of numbers with some letters. The nursery would give you a book that showed you how to read the codes for what the wholesale price was. The mark up was very generous and I made a lot of money when I sold large trees ect.

Has anyone else bought from a nursery like this?

Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-17-2005, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a couple nurserys around here that do it like that but I dont buy my plant materials from them, just mulch, super fines and fertilizer.

They guy that I deal with will sell me a 3 gallon Firepower Nandina for $12.50 plus tax and the cheapest I can get it at any other nursery is $20 to $24 and customer price is $27.95 so I sell it for that plus labor to install which includes the soil amendment and fertilizer.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Pro
Mac, just curious, does this include your labor for installing? I.E. you get woody plant for $20, charge $60 for the plant, does this include all cost associated from beginning to end or is it simply for the plant itself?
I don't just plant 1 plant, I plant beds so yes the price would be all inclusive for the plant but would not include the top-soil, mulch etc. When I do a planting it gives me a quick way to estimate for a residential customer, they like getting a price and a plant selection to choose from. I have about 20 plants that I know I can mix and match at each home to make a nice lay out and I know the price for each so its just a matter of how many and which ones they like. First one to give a price and an idea means I have the best chance of grabbing them as a customer
Old 10-17-2005, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We do not do big mark ups on plants or any materials. We are in the business of selling labor. So we make dinero off of labor.

We do mark up plants for warranty purposes. But plant mark up is NOT calculated UNTIL the labor and net profit has been finalized. Not all plants have the same mark up. Being in biz since 1990 an having planted countless trees - to this date we have NOT replaced 1 deciduous tree. So our deciduous trees may only be marked up 50%. We have replaced countless Leylands - so Leylands get marked up 100%. We have never replaced any Otto Luykens, so the get marked up 25-50% depending ghow bad we want the job. We have replaced thousands of azaleas - so they get a 100% mark up.

Sounds confusing!? Really its not. You have to see our job costing sheets to understand.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
I don't just plant 1 plant, I plant beds so yes the price would be all inclusive for the plant but would not include the top-soil, mulch etc. When I do a planting it gives me a quick way to estimate for a residential customer, they like getting a price and a plant selection to choose from. I have about 20 plants that I know I can mix and match at each home to make a nice lay out and I know the price for each so its just a matter of how many and which ones they like. First one to give a price and an idea means I have the best chance of grabbing them as a customer
I didn't mean to imply that 1 plant is all we are dealing with, like you I also do beds, and my formula is similar in that it is designed to give a quick estimate. I actually pulled over in a parking lot today for about 5 minutes to prepare an estimate (had to calculate mulch, and cant chew gum and walk art same time ) I also feel it gives me an edge and eliminates dickering with the customer, the price is what it is. My question was more directed at the variety of pricing methods I see here quite a bit, as in you charge 3x + mulch, topsoil, etc. then some cowboy gets on here and charges something like 3x for the plant only. So just trying to gain some perspective on the methodology used seasoned fellas such as yourself.

Thanks for the reply.
G-P