Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2000, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

This is my second year in the biz and right now I am strictly residential although I want to start doing some commercial also. I was wondering if any of you could give me a comparison on the profits of commercial vs. residential. Thanks
Old 04-20-2000, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am mainly doing mainly residential work.Last year I had about 5 large commercial jobs and this year I do not have one of those jobs,And my prices were not very high.I think that there is good money in commercial work but you need equipment that is very fast.I own a walker with a 54'' deck.I can do work fast but most of the guys in town use 61''-72'' for commercial.I have decided that untill I'm making good money in residential that I am going to stay away from commercial jobs.I think if you can afford to buy the proper equipment that by all means do it.I think in about 3-4 years I will be in commercial work.For now my goal is to buy a property with a nice shop on it.Anyway that is my opinion.Oh Ya!The pro to residential work is if you find the right client base you can do great.The con is many residential clients can be a pain to deal with.The pro with commercial work is that it is easy to find work.The con is it is also easy to lose work,many people will low ball you just to get the job and next year raise the price up.Hope this will help you make a choice!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
Old 04-20-2000, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Adam I'm curious on what size trailer you have and the equipment you bought when you started. I plan to start in residential, but I'm going to ask commercial places where I have know management. Thanks, chad <p>
Old 04-20-2000, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Adam is right. Commercial is less picky, but alot of hassles from &quot;lowballers&quot;.
Old 04-20-2000, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chadster-Before I turned my business into a real business I used a garden tractor.But when I first decided to do lawn care full time I bought a walker 11hp with a 42'' GHS deck.Back the all the other equipment was home depot style push mower and weed eater.I have used the same trailer back then as I do today.It fit can anything up to 44'' wide.But I was able to make it so my walker with a 54'' deck can fit on.Basicly my deck sticks out acouple of inches on both sides under the rails on the trailer.My trailer is totally custom built buy my father.We have a ramp on both the front and rear so we can drive equipment into the back of the truck.We right now own a 20 hp 54'' Walker We switch to 42'' in spring and fall for clean-ups.And We also own a 36'' scag dual hydro walk-behind.It sits in the back of the truck.When we bought it we realized that we would have unload the Walker first and then take off the scag.This would become a pain and a waste of time.What we did to solve this problem is the ramp on the front of the trailer that allows the equipment to drive in the bed of the truck.We welded a bar across the side of that ramp so we could attach two mesh ramps to it.So once we lower the front ramp and put the 2 ramps on it we just drive the scag out of the bed of the truck and down the set of ramps.No moving the walker or anything like that!Simple and quick.I use the walker with the 54'' becouse it is gear driven and gives an even better cut than the 42''.I think it is an ideal size for residential work.Any other questions?I would be glad to answer any others!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care <br>
Old 04-20-2000, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I started out with a 25hp 60&quot; DC, Stihl edger and trimmer and backpack blower. I have 2 residencies and 6 commercials (4 large). I get a whole lot less hassle out of the commercials than the residences and make about 30% more per hour on the commercials. I hope I never have to get another residence.
Old 04-21-2000, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Say Adam, and Bondman. Is a 5'x8' trailer a good first choice , is comes with ramp, weedeater rack, 2'x2' box and 2' sides with grating. It looks great but at $1000.00 Boy I sure would like to find a used one, and spend that money on equip. I would appreciate it if you guys could share a little with how you decided to do this business and how you made it a go for you. You can email me czechchad@yahoo.com <br>Thanks, chad <br>Oklahoma City, OK
Old 04-21-2000, 09:24 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
You can buy a new 5 to 6 1/2 ft wide 12 foot long single axle with a hd floor and ramp for<br>$1000.<p>You need a 12ft trailer to haul two walk behinds. A 8ft trailer can hold only one WB.<p>The 5 1/2 wide model works for me<br>for I can squeeze my 62&quot; toro on the back of the trailer.<br>
Old 04-21-2000, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

When I started out I had mostly residential lawns. Now I have about %75 commercial properties including 6 development common areas. Commercial property owners don't knit-pick the way home owners do. Also, some commercial properties can be cut in the rain or at very early or late hours. A lot of the residential lawns I had were older home owners who thought that the minute they called you, you should be there - like a fire station waiting for the alarm.
Old 04-22-2000, 03:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can get trailers alot cheaper than that down here i paid 600.00 for a brand new 6x10 with a warranty and all<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida