Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2005, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Fall cleanup flyer

Proposed new flyer for fall cleanups. I am planning to leave about 50 to 100 of these around my neighborhood, in the newspaper boxes attached to mailbox posts, tucked behind the mailbox flag, etctera (I don't like to put them actually inside the mailbox -- that is for mail only, right?)

Any suggestions? Edits?

I still don't have a vehicle, I'm using my big garden cart to move my mower, but I've talked to a number of people who may want to work with me. I have a good Honda mower, a cheap but effective steel blade edger, and an Echo 260i blower, etcetera.

I've gotten a couple of jobs so far mowing and edging. Now it is time to look for rake-blow-mulch leaves jobs. I need to make the payments on that blower!
Old 10-23-2005, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mailbox

dont even put them behind the flag, the flyers cannot touch the mailbox. At least that is what the local mail man told me. The flyer looks great.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im just wondering how you could be 57 and not have a truck...
Old 10-23-2005, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

splatz
Quote:
Im just wondering how you could be 57 and not have a truck...
It is a long, long story.

But I can tell you that: I do not have a seizure disorder or any other illness that prevents me from driving. I do not have any criminal record that prevents me from getting a license. I have a learner's permit but currently don't have a way to take the driver's test. I currently don't have enough money or earnings to pay for motor vehicle insurance, or a truck. My income is not quite enough to pay for rent, heating oil, and food. My clothing is all hand-me-downs. I managed to save up $250 to buy a blower. That was my last penny. I bought the blower hoping I would be able to get the $250 back, and then have some more for spending money so I could eventually afford a Ford van type thing (not a mini van).

But I won't be able to afford that if I get the 2 jobs a week maximum, that I am expecting to be able to get within walking distance. That would be about $400 per month. Insurance is about $100 a month and a marginally decent used vehicle, financed, is about what, $250 per month payback on interest and principal? More than twice that for a new vehicle.

I am out of ideas. The best I can forsee is to get maybe 8 lawns a month, and dead-end there.

I have managed to reach 57 without ever having a full-time job lasting more than a few months, I have just run out of ideas. I was mildly disabled until 1999, when new medications came a long to help my condition. Now I am fully able to work in an office job full time. I cannot work outdoors in cold weather, or very hot weather. In the summer I schedule lawns during evening or mornings. I am allergic to tobacco and must stay far away from any smokers.

Last edited by soilman; 10-23-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so where do you live??
Old 10-23-2005, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Shirley, Long Island, New York. About 6 miles, I estimate, South of the Brookhaven National Lab.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

do a search

or check the post office web site, noting attached to , inside of or touching the mailbox......
6 full time
Old 10-23-2005, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
noting attached to , inside of or touching the mailbox.
Guess I'll have to attach the flyer to the wood or metal mailbox post, with contact cement, sheet metal screws, construction adhesive, or something. Or nail it to their front door. Or attach it to a rock and throw the rock thru their window.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great idea

Or attach it to a rock and throw the rock thru their window.[/QUOTE]. I have 5000 flyers and bags of rubber bands, all I need is the rocks. Bet that would get me some phone calls, or something. Seriously, no one can do it. If it is reall y a prblem they have door hangars that probably would work better for your needs anyway.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I didn't understand your reply mak2, where you said "seriously, no one can do it." No one can do what? Obviously you can't throw a rock thru someone's window. But I don't think anyone in the history of the US has ever been arrested for putting a flyer in a mailbox, much less wedging one between the mailbox and the mailbox flag (if vandals haven't broken the flag off, yet). I get everything from real estate agents to vinyl siding contractors and of course landscapers, putting flyers in my mailbox, and between the mailbox and the flag, several times every week. Everyone on my block does. I can imagine what the police would say if I called up to complain about it. They would probably take ME to the mental observation ward at the local hospital, and leave me there for a couple of days.