Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2005, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

is this "dirty" business?

went on a quote this morning for fall cleanup service. the guy said he has someone to mow, and fertilize, but his guy doesn't do fall leaf cleanup. i told him......that his lawn was being improperly fertilized by the looks of it, and that if his man can't provide leaf cleanup, then he shouldn't use him. i quoted a fee (inflated) for leaves, then i quoted another fee (lower) for the leaves this fall, if he signs with us for 2006 mowing/fert services. he bit like a shark in a pool of blood, and i left with a signature and a deposit. is this dirty business?
Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think so. As long ass the lawn was actually being improperly fertilized and you were not ling their is nothing wrong with this. In fact i'd say BRAVO!
Old 10-23-2005, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I think that is good salesmanship, if the lawn is being improperly fertilized as stated above. I use tactics like this all the time. I ask how happy they are with their current service and if they give an in, such as "they don't blow off the sidewalk" or " they don't get the little sticks out of the gravel areas" I politely use that to give them a bid for my service.
I think you did just fine.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its Just Biz U Did What U Needed To Get The Deal Done
Good Job
I Have Lost A Few To Guys That Mow And Fert But Oh Well Its Just Biz I Uausly Get The Fert Work Back Then The Lawn Boy Will Pay Lol
Old 10-23-2005, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So what! Just because you are offering a full service stop and the guy doesn't have to make seperate calls to get other things done? And on top of that, you can offer a better service (the fert.)? You are asking of perhaps you did something wrong, or if it is dirty? Better is better. I don't believe you would've offered him better, if you knew or thought you couldn't deliver it. What's more than that, you are offering MORE of a service with atleast one operation (leaf cleanup) that wasn't offered before.
I WOULD like to know, though...what kind of moron does lawn mowing and doesn't even offer fall cleanup. It sounds like maybe a typical fly-by-night mow and blow operation, to me. You gave this customer better service....he is happy, you are happy. No wrong done.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
it's a dog eat dog world, and we're all wearing milkbone underwear
Like you sig. says and I don't care if the other co. was doing a fantastic job and kissing there azz as and added freebie, you just did it better
Old 10-23-2005, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

bobbygedd--it seems to me like the guy spotted a lowballer from a long ways off.

you took the bait and he hooked you right in your big fat lips. good luck with your new problem customer.

GEO
Old 10-23-2005, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogunn
bobbygedd--it seems to me like the guy spotted a lowballer from a long ways off.

you took the bait and he hooked you right in your big fat lips. good luck with your new problem customer.

GEO
i'm sorry, should you even be commenting on this forum? i was under the impression, that the forum was for licensed, insured, tax paying businesses, not guys working under the table for cash.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I LOVE SUNDAY MORNINGS AT LS I CAN FEEL THE LOVE
Old 10-23-2005, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
i was under the impression, that the forum was for licensed, insured, tax paying businesses, not guys working under the table for cash.
then for the reasons you just listed, that must be why you only post stories about your supposed customers here.

GEO